DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Letus HD, No AC, No follow focus 35mm F 2.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/107403-letus-hd-no-ac-no-follow-focus-35mm-f-2-0-a.html)

Jamon Lewis November 7th, 2007 12:04 AM

Letus HD, No AC, No follow focus 35mm F 2.0

As the title says: this was shot with the Letus HD100, No AC, No follow focus 35mm F2.0 @ 2.0.

I read complaints about still lenses and breathing...

Give me some feed back.

http://theworksfilms.com/sc108.mov

E.J. Sadler November 7th, 2007 06:05 PM

Still lenses are all different. Our 35/1.4 is nearly breathless. Our 180/3.5 breathes so much is looks like an effect done in post.

Using a little bit of motion during a pull like your clip does will mask a decent amount of breathing, the real test is what hapens during a pull with a lock-off.

Jamon Lewis November 7th, 2007 06:36 PM

Lenses are different. My clip may not have been the best example of a usual shot that would or would not show breathing I just think that (considering lenses that would be used) the whole breathing issue, like many other technical issues discussed on these boards is over done. Most viewers of material either 1) don't notice breathing or 2) attribute it to one of the things that differentiates "real" movies from amature movies.

Giuseppe Pugliese December 13th, 2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamon Lewis (Post 771488)
As the title says: this was shot with the Letus HD100, No AC, No follow focus 35mm F2.0 @ 2.0.

I read complaints about still lenses and breathing...

Give me some feed back.

http://theworksfilms.com/sc108.mov

Could you happen to tell me what your lighting setup was? useing what lights and how many and at what distances... im looking into buying the letus hd100 but was worried about finding fast enough lenses your 35mm = 66.5mm and looks pretty decent at 2.0 with that light.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jamon Lewis December 14th, 2007 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese (Post 791996)
Could you happen to tell me what your lighting setup was? useing what lights and how many and at what distances... im looking into buying the letus hd100 but was worried about finding fast enough lenses your 35mm = 66.5mm and looks pretty decent at 2.0 with that light.

Thanks in advance for the info.

The light where she was coming from was a 500W fresnel, between the corner and the 1st chair (on our left) was a 250W fresnel that I shot into the wall and reflected on her (that was the plan at least) but just so she wouldn't be totally dark there. The light that she walks by next (on our left) was a 750W tota pointed to the top of the wall /ceiling. The light in that doorway (on our right) was a 1K softbox and was about 6ft or so into the room, the last ones (on our left) was another 750W tota pointed to the top of the wall /ceiling and a 650W softbox to the right of the camera that she walk into.

Hope this was descriptive enough.

Giuseppe Pugliese December 15th, 2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamon Lewis (Post 792259)
The light where she was coming from was a 500W fresnel, between the corner and the 1st chair (on our left) was a 250W fresnel that I shot into the wall and reflected on her (that was the plan at least) but just so she wouldn't be totally dark there. The light that she walks by next (on our left) was a 750W tota pointed to the top of the wall /ceiling. The light in that doorway (on our right) was a 1K softbox and was about 6ft or so into the room, the last ones (on our left) was another 750W tota pointed to the top of the wall /ceiling and a 650W softbox to the right of the camera that she walk into.

Hope this was descriptive enough.

oh wow, thanks very much for that info i honestly thought you used only 4 lights, so i guess you really did need to light the hell out of it, what do you say the light loss of the letus hd was? im seriously looking into buying one and its hard to find someone whose actually owned and used one for more than just a test. Are you happy with how sharp the focus is? and what sharpness setting do you use in camera? do you put it all the way up to compensate for the softness of lenses wide open?

Sorry for all the questions, i got excited when i saw footage i actually liked from the adapter and wanted to pick your brain on it.

Jamon Lewis December 16th, 2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese (Post 793126)
oh wow, thanks very much for that info i honestly thought you used only 4 lights, so i guess you really did need to light the hell out of it, what do you say the light loss of the letus hd was? im seriously looking into buying one and its hard to find someone whose actually owned and used one for more than just a test. Are you happy with how sharp the focus is? and what sharpness setting do you use in camera? do you put it all the way up to compensate for the softness of lenses wide open?

Sorry for all the questions, i got excited when i saw footage i actually liked from the adapter and wanted to pick your brain on it.

Don't worry about the questions that's what these forums are for...Yeah i did have to use a bit of light. There is a aperture setting on the letus that realistically can't be used anymore open than 2.8, i don't know how many stops it actually is ( I know they claimed 1 1/2 but...) As far as the sharpness I don't have a problem with it, for this shot and all the shots in this film I had it set below normal. I haven't found a problem with sharpness at all although I back it (the aperture) off a touch when i need to shoot all the way open. I see your in NY, I am too PM me.