Updated Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Updated Adapter

I got my bandwith back and used .mov to get a file smaller than 50mb's. Here's a new clip of my adapter. It's the best I've got out of it. I used some spacers between the GG and the Achromat to get a sharper picture. The bokeh is incredible. Hope you enjoy

right click save as please: (saving bandwith)
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/8/612706/Family.mov
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Rich, which adapter?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Major Player

It's the vibrating light shape diffuser screen.
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Can you post any specific info like what cell phone did you smashed, did you try to measure LS diffuser degres and diffusion type like in alain's tread?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=lsd
Igor Babic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Major Player

I certainly can. I didn't use Alain's program. Sorry, but given the bokeh's shape and the grain patter it had to be 10 to 20degree's. I'm just guessing here. The cell phone was a recently deceased Samsung Sch-A990. I used double sided tape to mount the screen on the the holder. A Duracell 1.5v battery. 67mm Asian Spacers for my housing. 2-8x Achromats from the guy on ebay. It's 51mm 129fl. I'm gonna sell this adapter here soon so if anyone is interested feel free to let me know. I'm not going to market these, but more like trade them for other DIY stuff.
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Any pictures of it?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #7
New Boot

Your bokeh is really great !
Ivan Brasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Major Player

thanks. i'll post some pics if i can get around to it. the only camera i have is my cell phone and it's currently broken. i'd use the dvx but i'm sure you'd want to see it attached as well.
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Are you shure that this is sharpest that you can get? I have seen alot sharper images from you. (gg-less stuff rocks) This looks like slightly wrong backfocus. Can you post some stills? This is very highly compressed footage. Other than this it looks very promising. I realy like this LS diffuser stuff, and I will definetly try to make my LS diffuser gg. If you are selling your stuff, are you plan to buy or make some other?
Igor Babic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Which are you referring to when it comes to sharpness? I've upped some stills for you. The gg-less is going to be the sharpest because it's direct to DVX footage. I won't argue that'll be the sharpest I've ever recorded, but the problem is, it isn't exactly true DOF. When I say "the sharpest" meaning, it's the sharpest using a GG or any of my GG adapters. I think it's correct backfocus. I focused to infinity. I put some spacers from Achromat to the GG making it sharper to my eye. I still think, after seeing the footage, it's the sharpest I've gotten out of it, using a GG. I do plan on building another one. I already have my parts listed out and this time I'll be using an HD Achromat. I've got the price down to $226.00 with HD achromat. Around $120.00 without Achromat. I'll even have different mounts..I.E., Nikon, Canon and Leica.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/Car3o/Felic.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/Car3o/Bell.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...3o/Krystal.jpg
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #11
Trustee

GG material is too diffusive. This means good bokeh as commented above, but bad light loss and worse, less sharpness. If you are home-grinding your GG, try a smaller grind.
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #12
Major Player

the light loss is relatively well with the lsd screen. there are different types, making it similar to film stock. i have the one screen where there is less diffusion but with stopping down lens, you get good bokeh. and the light loss on those screens are .5 stops of light. the sharpness, like you said, is a lot better. but my point was that since i moved the gg away from the achromat, the sharpness is better.
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Hibner View Post
the light loss is relatively well with the lsd screen. there are different types, making it similar to film stock. i have the one screen where there is less diffusion but with stopping down lens, you get good bokeh. and the light loss on those screens are .5 stops of light. the sharpness, like you said, is a lot better. but my point was that since i moved the gg away from the achromat, the sharpness is better.
Vignetting will decrease as well as you move away from exceeding the critical angle of the diffusion screen.
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #14
Major Player

i'm not sure if you have ever used a LSD screen before, but with those screens, the light spreads evenly across it. there's never a hot spot. the widest i've gone is a 28mm so i'm not 100% if any other type of lens will cause vignetting.

what is the critical angle? not sure what you are pointing out.
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods