Brevis+35mm cinema lenses anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Trustee

Brevis+35mm cinema lenses anyone?

Hi,

I was wondering if there's anyone out there using the brevis with 35mm cinema lenses. I have just bout the following:

LOMO OKC5-18-1 f=2.5 / 18mm
OKC11-35-1 f=2.0 / 35mm
LOMO OKC1-50-6 f=2.0 / 50mm
OKC6-75-1 f=2.0 / 75mm

Before spending like 400$ on the mount (I don't know which brevis mount would be necessary for these) I'd like to be sure it works and that it is worth the money to upgrade from my nikon.

cheers,

Rafa
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Trustee

I did extensive research on the topic when I was considering purchasing a similar set of LOMO lenses as an upgrade from my FD set.

The conclusions I came to were the following:
In regards to image quality, there is no appreciable difference even when used with an HDV camera. The resolution rendered by the adapter does not do justice to the optical differences between still camera and cinema lens design.

The primary advantage is the reduction in lens breathing. However depending on the lens some FD/Nikons breathe less than LOMOs and vice versa. However even pro Cooke lenses breathe to some extent; it is the nature of the beast.

Another advantage is the radial ratios for focus pulling. Rotation around the barrel on LOMOs is something like 2.5 times around from macro to infinity, while still lenses are sometimes barely 1 rotation. So more accurate focus pulling can be achieved; but again, the resolution rendered by an adapter even on an HDV cam does not lend enough sharpness to really require the same exactness as on 35mm film.

Finally, cinema lenses are typically slower than still glass, so you're looking at a darker image regardless. As you stated, your lenses are typically around f2-2.5.

If you've already bought the lenses, just buy the mount. The real advantage of buying the PL or LOMO mounts for the Brevis is so you have the availability to rent pro lenses from any pro camera store, or so there is interchangeability between cams if you are using your Brevis setup as a B-cam.

In summary, certainly it works, but cinema lenses don't give an appreciable difference in image quality to justify the $$, IMHO.

You want the OCT-19 mount for Brevis in order to use LOMO lenses.
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Trustee

That is more or less what I thought. Thanks for the very insightful information, Ben.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Trustee

If these are from that Russian camera you purchased they should be OCT19 mount lenses. You might want to double check though, as some of the older cameras and lenses are OCT18 mount.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Ben is pretty much spot on with that assessment. I do find our collection of LOMO's a tad sharper than the Canon FD's, and as you move from 50mm up, the usable image size approaches SLR frame width with our CF1Le imaging element in place. I can't quite describe the difference but there's a pleasing organic warmth in the bokeh that appeals to me.

The other differences I would highlight is that in some cases, the lenses can be quite fast with the 28mm for example being a T1.3 ... and huge. Focusing is much more precise, and with no aperture indexing, you can smoothly adjust exposure during a shot with no "clicks" to jog the rig. There are generally more aperture blades meaning the out of focus specular highlights will be more circular rather than octagonal as with many SLR lenses with 5 blades. The LOMOS we have look to be incredibly well built, 100% metal, and tough!

Using the Brevis with our flip module will make these lenses usable with no spacer rings on your XH-A1, and much cleaner with respect to CA too.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Trustee

Hum...I really don't know now. I don't want to pay 400$ just to find out that they don't work. Is there actually anyone who has used these with the brevis? Dennis?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Trustee

The lenses have just arrive along with the konvas...I played with them a little bit and they are thing of beauty...but I really don't know how well they would react with the brevis. Isn't there anyone out there who has tried it???

P.S - Is there such a thing as a OCT19 to nikon adapter?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The following http://www.vimeo.com/400252 might be useful for you to assess the brevis.
It is a short (2min), filmed using a brevis and 35mm SLR lenses (as part of a 48 hour film marathon. The brevis was on a JVC HD7 (which is a high end, high def, had disk consumer camera) we filmed at 720 and rendered out to standard definition.
If you look carefully you will be able to spot the times (when climbers foot is placed on the rock after leaving the the yellow mat) when the brevis...'switched itself off' (its really easy to catch the switch) or wasnt working ...toward the end of the day we had the indicator light on telling us it was working but clearly it wasnt. The final rig was mounted on a homemade rail.
This was our first film, (it was for an adventure film festival hence the theme), we were pleased with the brevis look (softer better contrast/tones), the scope it gave us in depth of field. The camera bore it well...amazingly after problems with a senheisser mic, all the sound is from the HD7 onboard mike and all outside.
Hope this helps
Simon Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gee View Post
The following http://www.vimeo.com/400252 might be useful for you to assess the brevis.
It is a short (2min), filmed using a brevis and 35mm SLR lenses (as part of a 48 hour film marathon. The brevis was on a JVC HD7 (which is a high end, high def, had disk consumer camera) we filmed at 720 and rendered out to standard definition.
If you look carefully you will be able to spot the times (when climbers foot is placed on the rock after leaving the the yellow mat) when the brevis...'switched itself off' (its really easy to catch the switch) or wasnt working ...toward the end of the day we had the indicator light on telling us it was working but clearly it wasnt. The final rig was mounted on a homemade rail.
This was our first film, (it was for an adventure film festival hence the theme), we were pleased with the brevis look (softer better contrast/tones), the scope it gave us in depth of field. The camera bore it well...amazingly after problems with a senheisser mic, all the sound is from the HD7 onboard mike and all outside.
Hope this helps
I'm sorry, I don't think I was very clear. I have the brevis35 and I have been using it for a long time. What I want to know is if there's someone out there using it with 35mm cinema lenses.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods