DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Shooting with just a zoom lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/110239-shooting-just-zoom-lens.html)

Ben Winter December 14th, 2007 03:34 PM

Shooting with just a zoom lens

This is a short week-long project I completed recently for a scholars class here at UMD College Park. I shot it entirely on a Brevis + FX1 and a 35-105 f3.5 zoom lens.

I've found that the bulkiest part of using an adapter is constantly switching out prime lenses. This was a test for me to see if viable results can be achieved solely with a zoom lens attached. Just using one lens made it feel like I was using a real cinema camera! I've used an adapter for a lot of projects now and sticking with one lens the entire time made everything unbelievably easier; it really makes the adapter feel like part of the camera rather than a workaround.

I used one light, a 6x55 CoolLights fluorescent softlight, when needed. It outputs about the equivalent of 1300w.

"Allergy Season" on http://www.frozenphoenixproductions.com

Rich Hibner December 14th, 2007 04:00 PM

Joshua Radin!!! That's number 1.

I was actually going to consider using zoom lens on my next shoot so this inspired me much more.

Overall, pretty good story, audio little slips here and there and acting wasn't half bad. Good job. And anyone ever tell you that you look a lot like Goran Visjic?

Dale Stoltzfus December 14th, 2007 04:13 PM

Didn't have a chance to watch the video yet, but it's cool to hear that zoom lens worked well!

However, I think it's funny that you said it made you feel like you were using a "real cinema" camera because, to the best of my knowledge, most Hollywood productions rely on prime lenses for the bulk of their footage.

Cheers!

~Dale

Ben Winter December 14th, 2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Stoltzfus (Post 792632)
Didn't have a chance to watch the video yet, but it's cool to hear that zoom lens worked well!

However, I think it's funny that you said it made you feel like you were using a "real cinema" camera because, to the best of my knowledge, most Hollywood productions rely on prime lenses for the bulk of their footage.

Cheers!

~Dale

That's possible. I wouldn't know personally, the only experience I've had with Panavision is with zoom lenses, this was TV shows and commercial spots though.

Toenis Liivamaegi December 14th, 2007 05:09 PM

Hi Ben, was that AF lens or MF only? I`d like to hear comments on using modern AF zoom lens on an adaptor.

T

Ben Winter December 15th, 2007 02:03 AM

Hi Toenis, this was MF only. Autofocus would be quite an engineering feat to incorporate on an adapter, IMO. The brevis, especially.

Toenis Liivamaegi December 15th, 2007 05:48 AM

No AF for adaptor applications for sure, I meant that if it was modern AF enabled or oldschool MF only zoom lens, I`m trying to figure out if the modern zoom lenses are usable with FF etc.

T

Bob Hart December 15th, 2007 06:18 AM

I have recently had my prejudices against zooms turned around, ironically by a young director using an old Tamron Adaptamatic for Nikon (not Adaptall) on a JVC HD100/Mini35. The lens is about 10 years older than he is.

I have had the lens for years and it was already superseded when I got it in the early 80s. I bought it for stringer news work on a Bolex via a home made C-mount adaptor. There was no way then I could afford the equivalent 16mm lenses.

This lens, an 80mm-250mm constant f3.5 was a sweet lens on the Bolex but no sign of antireflective coatings anywhere. By comparison with modern lenses it flares a little more.

It was quite acceptable on the Bolex and on the 24mm x 18mm frame, seems as sharp as some of the primes. I emphasise the word "seems". Full screen may tell another story, however other work with this lens already edited has been apparently satisfactory.

Whatever, - after fixed tripod shots, this young guy picked this thing up and went handheld, doing innovative wiping vignettes of band performers faces, using the out-of-focus items in the foreground such as other performers and instruments to create the wiping frames.

What is galling of course is that old relics like me should be doing the teaching, not the learning from young folk.