DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Looking for P+S Adapter (or other) in SLC, UTAH (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/110458-looking-p-s-adapter-other-slc-utah.html)

Thor Wixom December 17th, 2007 03:24 PM

Looking for P+S Adapter (or other) in SLC, UTAH

I'm looking for someone in Utah that has an adapter to mount Canon EF "L" lenses to an HDV camera. It could be a P+S or any of the other types of adapters, as long as it accepts or has an EF mount or adapter, and allow me/us to record the results on an HDV camera. (I have a Z1U.)

The reason is that I want to do a comprehensive test on the high end Canon still lenses to see which ones breathe and which ones don't. I have already looked at many EF lenses, including primes, and I was absolutely amazed by the results! For example, the EF 16-35mm 1:2.8L II USM had little to no breathing! In fact, I had to shoot various subjects all across the room to even detect the breathing at all.

Of course, I don't expect everyone to take my word for it. I want to record the results, and I will host them on my website.

This comprehensive test will be a great opportunity to get some exposure for yourself as a DP, and learn a thing or two about the available options.

I plan to publish this test so any and all forums across several websites will be able to link to the results.

I want to test the following lenses at various apertures and focal lengths:

Zoom
EF 16-35mm 1:2.8L II USM
EF 24-70mm 1:2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm 1:2.8L IS USM

Prime
EF 14mm 1:2.8L II USM
EF 24mm 1:1.4L USM
EF 35mm 1:1.4L USM
EF 50mm 1:1.2L USM
EF 85mm 1:1.2L USM
EF 135mm 1:2.0L USM
EF 200mm 1:2.0L IS USM
EF 300mm 1:2.8L IS USM

There is no pay for this. I'm not looking to rent. I want someone who is willing to at least donate their adapter, and preferably their time. I am willing to offer the use of my Z1U in some sort of trade arrangement, and if you really go above and beyond the call of duty, I might be willing to trade a day or two on my Red One, which I will be receiving by the end of December.

I will be working with a top still photography store in Salt Lake City, who also has an online presence, and who will benefit by the exposure of lending me the lenses to do the tests.

If you have the equipment and are willing to work with these terms, send me an email at thor2loki@comcast.net

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Thor Wixom
Invictus Productions

Thor Wixom December 19th, 2007 01:39 AM

Need a Canon EF adapter

I found someone to supply an HVX200 and a P+S Technik adapter.

Now all I need is a Canon EF adapter.

Is anyone willing to send one to Utah for a few days?

I'd be glad to rent this particular piece, and even put a refundable deposit down.

-Thor Wixom
www.invictusproductions.com

Chris Hurd December 19th, 2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

I want to do a comprehensive test on the high end Canon still lenses to see which ones breathe and which ones don't
Sorry, I guess I'm not clear on the concept. If this is a lens breathing test, couldn't that be just as easily accomplished with a D-SLR or 35mm SLR still photography camera?

David W. Jones December 23rd, 2007 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 795246)
Sorry, I guess I'm not clear on the concept. If this is a lens breathing test, couldn't that be just as easily accomplished with a D-SLR or 35mm SLR still photography camera?

It sure could!

Chris Hurd December 23rd, 2007 01:06 AM

Maybe he wants to record the breathing to video, but if that's the case then I'm still not sure what that would accomplish. A lens either breathes (changes focal length slightly as focal plane is changed) or it doesn't, and most still photo lenses do... wouldn't this be a "yes" or "no" report? I'm not getting why it would need to be recorded on video.

Thor Wixom December 28th, 2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 797203)
Maybe he wants to record the breathing to video, but if that's the case then I'm still not sure what that would accomplish. A lens either breathes (changes focal length slightly as focal plane is changed) or it doesn't, and most still photo lenses do... wouldn't this be a "yes" or "no" report? I'm not getting why it would need to be recorded on video.

Chris,

It's one thing to look at a lens through a DSLR viewfinder, memorize the look, snap on a different lens and check it against your memory of the previous lens, and then rely on memory from weeks before as you're trying to make purchasing decisions.

It's quite another to record the results and be able to look at them side by side, again and again, so you don't have to go from memory.

This is the ultimate goal.

By the way, I found some one in Salt Lake that has an HVX200, a Brevis adapter with the EOS mount, and ALL the lenses (plus some) on my list except the 300, (which a local pro photo shop will let me use).

Bottom line... I'll have some test results soon!

-Thor

Edit: One more thing, it's not just a yes or no test. It's a "how much?" test. Acceptable breathing is different for everyone, but I specifically want to show that some still solutions can work as well as cine lenses. I am taking delivery of a Red One in about a week and I have ordered the Birger mount. I hope that through these tests, I can show that the Canon / Birger option is as viable as any other. One of the first things that is pointed out about still lenses is that they breathe. However, I mounted a Canon 16-35 L II to a D40 and I saw no visible breathing. I was stunned. If can can visually share this info with others, then still lenses will hopefully start to get the respect they deserve. And, with the Birger mount, other concerns are addressed such as focus pulling. I'm excited about the possibilities.