Letus Extreme Mic picking up motor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 26th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Letus Extreme Mic picking up motor

I have the A1 with the Letus Extreme and have an issue with my boom mic. I am using a Rode Shock mount mounted on the hot shoe. Even with the shock mount I am still hearing a low hum of the Extreme in my audio... Any tips or suggestions on avoiding this?

Thanks in advance...
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The camera body is the single worst place to put a microphone.

Move the mic off the camera and you'll be fine.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Contributor

Truer words were never spoken.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Major Player

I appreciate that feedback however for run and gun situations and a single camera operator without a boom operator... What can I do?
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Doug, I hate to be the one to say it, but the *best* solution is to hire a boom operator, *especially* for run and gun situations.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Doug,

I do a great deal of run & gun, understand that at times it's physically or economically impossible to have a boom op, but truth is, you have few options in these types of situations. You can either forgo nat sound and do VO later, you can use a wireless, you can get lots of tone and take a swing at reducing the hum in your favorite audio post program, or perhaps you can get a cheap mixer with a low cut filter and run your mic through that and into the camera from there - you'd need to fashion a strap on the mixer case so you could wear it, but it might help.

Stu
Old January 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Stu-

Thanks for your tips... Obviously in a pro (paid) situation I'm going to get the mic optimally placed... But I was really curious if a situation like taking my dog to the park and I want to tape her chasing a ball... I'm not going to go to extreme lengths to get good audio but just run and gun basic sketchy situation...

Thanks Stu...
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Contributor

In a run-and-gun situation you probably wouldn't be using the Letus, would you? I'd take it off for those times.

It's also a good idea to have a wireless lav. Even a cheap one is going to give you better sound in an interview situation than a mic on the camera.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I know... no one here gets you. You want to shoot with the adapter for fun. No one understands. Here's what I'd do. When you're done cutting your footage together, just run the audio through a low cut filter in whatever post system you have. Your mic might even have a low cut setting on it. Double check. Some of them do to cut out wind noise and cars and such.
Steve Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #10
Major Player

i also would love to have a better solution for camera noise. i do use an off-camera mic, but sometimes need to fill in with the on-camera mic when sounds overload on off-camera mic from unpredictable sources, or levels in spots are better with the on-camera mic. But EQing to get rid of the hum makes it hard to match the mics...
Is there no system of isolating the mic that renders the hum managable? I've experimented with shock mounts and foam, but am unsatisfied with the results so far...
any ingenious engineers out there with suggestions?
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #11
Wrangler

You could try record some motor noise only, use it to build a noise profile in your favorite audio editing program, and apply noise reduction to the audio in post.

The Letus site reads "Virtually silent vibration system that will not interfere with microphones" Perhaps you have a defective model?.

Consider the pick-up pattern of your mic. You need to be sure that the mic is positioned to place the Letus in a minimum portion of the pattern.

Or just put a wireless mic on the dog and let audio AGC take care of the levels.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods