Movie test shots with Canon & Letus... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 5th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Movie test shots with Canon & Letus...

I just shot and did a quick edit on this test scene from my movie that I plan to shoot this Spring...

I'm using the Canon XH A1 and the Letus Extreme. This is kind of rough, but I couldn't wait to get out and do a test with the new equipment.

The compression in kind of heavy, but, please - let me know what you think!
(The actors had little to no rehearsal time for this...)

Thanks for any comments.... (extra points if anyone can figure out what the father did...)

Sean

http://www.sanczel.com/CrabTrapTest.html
Sean Sanczel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Overall I enjoyed it, Sean!

I did find a bit of distraction in the color shift from morning-sunbathed to a flatter look on the boys face a bit distracting. Also when it goes back to the wide camera with the bit o' vignette again it was there.

I think it would help continuity to add a bit of warming to the main discussion. Also, at the very end, there seemed to be a cord or something on the very right edge? Couldn't tell what it was, but I could see it.

Other than these few visual things, I enjoyed it. Gutsy move shooting into the sun there. :) Pulled it off well!

C
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments, Carl!

Yea! that darn cord! I thought I got rid of it but I left some in. (It's the mic cord from the boom mic... doh!)

And yes, I have to re-evaluate the coloring. I only did a little color correction and I'm not sure why there were such differences is the temp from one shot to the next.

What did you mean by the "bit o' vignette"? Do you mean from the Letus?

And, I hate to ask, but what did you mean about the sun? Gutsy because I might have damaged the sensors? Or just the aesthetics...?

I'm glad you enjoyed it overall... the real scene will be much different. The movie is going to be a "dramedy" believe it or not...!
Sean Sanczel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm sorry, but I seriously hope those weren't your actors for the actual movie you're shooting. The acting wasn't that great...at all. [Edit] Ah, sorry. I didn't see the no rehearsal time part. Whoopsie.

And some of the beginning shots are really out of focus.

Of course you're just testing it out and playing around with it, and good luck with the movie.

And what frame rate did you shoot in? It looks like 60i.

And I know what the old dude did. He sold his soul to the devil. *does a metal riff*
Jerrod Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sanczel View Post
What did you mean by the "bit o' vignette"? Do you mean from the Letus?
Yeah, all of those shots were very warm, and I really liked the coloring. It's the dead on shots that were rather 'normal' looking compared to these, no sunbathed appearance. :) Oh, and who hasn't seen a mic cable and gone "DOH!" in post? ;)

Quote:
And, I hate to ask, but what did you mean about the sun? Gutsy because I might have damaged the sensors? Or just the aesthetics...?
Aesthetics. You managed to keep some detail on your lead, he didn't become only a silhouette. The balance in lighting there was pretty good. :)

C

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods