DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Extreme and the H1...what do I need exactly? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/114291-extreme-h1-what-do-i-need-exactly.html)

Marty Hudzik February 8th, 2008 08:17 AM

Extreme and the H1...what do I need exactly?

I am looking to get into the new extreme but I have an H1. I am a little lost when it comes to rods and rails and what not to use with the Letus. My initial intentions are to have on the end of the Canon 16x manual lens where I can control the focus via the macro on the barrel. If I need to I can shoot with the H1 stock lens also. Obviously there is too much weight here to go without rails, right? I highly dount I will invest in the new XL realy as it is cost prohibitive. I'd be better served with another small camera.

Anyway.....what do I need? Keep in mind I am completely strapped financially and can barely swing the Letus Extreme, so I won't be able to spend thousands on support rails etc.

Is the Letus Extreme Economy lighter? Could it hang on the end of an H1 lens without support.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Marty

Marty Hudzik February 9th, 2008 06:02 PM

Nobody can help or point me to a resource where I can educate myself? Not being a jerk....just asking. I am not familiar with rails and such.....so this is new to me.

Thanks

Bob Hart February 10th, 2008 06:54 AM

Marty.

A lot of info is buried deep in the plethora of many posts past and the echo of your enquiry into the depths of silence may be as much a result of donor fatigue as much as anything else.

You have pretty much explained your plight to yourself and there is not much to add if you are unable to afford the new direct relay and have to use you normal camcorder lens instead.

Ignoring the issue of finances, there are two paths open to you,

buy in a set of extended rods and a suitable bridgeplate for the "H" camera to mount them and make suitable bridgework to support the Letus body.

Find some scrap lumber and fasten it to the base of the camera with a suitable spacer between the camera and the piece of lumber to allow the Letus body to hang clear without downward delection.

Fix the camera down then gently lift the front of the Letus body and determine how much vertical movement there is, then choose a midpoint which will become the point of rest for the Letus body.

You then make a chair to fit between the Letus body and the piece of lumber. The simplest way to keep things from twisting and moving about is to make a saddle to go across the Letus body to clamp down onto the chair or even simpler, a velcro strap.

You find a point of balance for the whole concoction with your heaviest prime lens fitted and at that point you attach a piece of aluminium flat bar about 5/16" thick and about 1.5" broad and about 6" long under the piece of lumber.

At the point of balance you drill and tap a tripod mount threaded hole. You also drill and tap several others in front and to rear of this hole to give you some balance choices for differing lens weights.

Use four thick screws and once you have got everything right, take the bar off and bung a few lines of non-hardening glue or bathroom sealer inrto the mating faces to prevent the flatbar from working loose with time and the screws pulling their threads.

It will not look elegant but will work and as another has suggested here, it can be quite rough and ready but a coat of flat black paint makes it look professional to the average humble public onlooker.

Aaron Pinto February 10th, 2008 01:34 PM

For the Extreme / H1 on the stock lens, the Letus 45cm + 15cm rods system configuration would be your best bet for support. You'll have long rig but it will be stable. If you wind up needing even more room for longer lenses or a mattebox, you can always thread on another 15cm length as our rods are threaded and extendable.