Letus Mini and the widest and the brightest! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 14th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Letus Mini and the widest and the brightest!

http://www.vimeo.com/690531
My first short test subject from Letus35 Mini and Canon FD 14mm f2.8 L and 85mm 1.2 L ...
I still don`t know how to get rid of the jaggies in Premiere (25p PAL).

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Okay, looks cool, but I have this question. I'm a 35mm adapter user too, so don't take as derrogatory about adapter use..... but why even use the adapter with a 14mm. I always considered the primary purpose of the adapter is for introduction of shallower depth of field, but when you get down to a 14mm, you really have very little that is not in focus... So why not go to wide direct camera shot, or maybe add a direct wide angle adapter or fisheye, avoiding the other issues associated with the 35mm adapters, like vignetting, and light loss. Do you feel you get a better image this way ? More organic maybe ?
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Chris, sure, but I`ve never seen a converter that could convert let`s say my A1`s lens to something close to a 20mm rectilinear image. I have all the original WA converters for Canon A1 and HV20 and all those can be called fisheyes instead of rectilinears. I get almost 25mm FOV with A1 and the original Canon converter but for indoors and architecture that isn`t good enough in terms of geometry and field of view. That Canon`s WA converter for XH A1 is so far the best and widest converter that retains the original HD footage quality I`ve seen so far.

Maybe there is a converter out there from Arigineux that could convert HV20 lens to something close to an ultra wide, sub 20mm non-fisheye? (I can`t recall that rare and expensive 16mm cine lens add-on that get`s you really wide actually)

Sure UWA isn`t for general public and it`s more complicated than not specially for adapter usage - I would pass everything if possible when I could get direct results somehow. At least it will be as expensive as the FD 14mm 2.8 I assume and that`s for 3 element add-on lens...

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Okay, got it. I was thinking you could get to near 14mm with a fairly common adapter. After looking at specs, its clear you would need about a .25 x . Don't know if there is such a thing.

Thanks for reply !!
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Trustee

I shoot loads of stuff with a wide angle on my Letus. Not just because I can get wider than the stock lens but you can still get shallow DOF with a wide angle if you want but more for as you say, the organic look.

35mm adaptors are not just for shallow DOF, if fact if all you ever use for it is to get shallow DOF it become repetitive! Sure, use it for selective focus, but mainly use it for the wide variety of great lenses you can get and the beautiful organic look.

By the way the footage looked really nice.
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
...35mm adaptors are not just for shallow DOF, if fact if all you ever use for it is to get shallow DOF it become repetitive! Sure, use it for selective focus, but mainly use it for the wide variety of great lenses you can get and the beautiful organic look....
....hmmm.....I'm about to get my first DIY adapter....and this is something I never thought about using them for....thanks for the tip.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

17mm tamron lens is cool

http://www.vimeo.com/758364

this is a link for the tamron 17-35 in 35mm adapter video.
Adriano Apefos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods