DIY iris fix for using Canon FD lenses on 35mm adapters: at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 14th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
New Boot

DIY iris fix for using Canon FD lenses on 35mm adapters:

Not sure if someone has already come up with this, but I thought I'd share:

I discovered that most Canon FD type lenses will not let you adjust the iris when mounted to a LetusXL or presumably any other 35mm adapter with a Canon FD mount. So after studying the issue for a bit, I came up with a way that solves the problem.

I devised a sort of simple shim using a trimmed down Q-Tip shaft and placed that between a hard point on the back of the lens and the iris actuator. To hold the shim in place, I placed a small amount of hot glue to one side. I chose hot glue over super glue or Elmer's glue because it won't seep into the lens, is somewhat malleable, and is not a permanent adhesive, meaning I can take the shim fix off the lens without damaging it or leaving any residue.

I have included a couple pics to show the shim fix on a Canon FD 50mm F1.4 lens. The first is the lens alone with the shim fix at wide open and the second pic is the lens with the LetusXL Canon FD adapter attached and stopped down to about F16. All in all, a pretty easy and cheap DIY fix.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY iris fix for using Canon FD lenses on 35mm adapters:-canonfdlensfix01.jpg   DIY iris fix for using Canon FD lenses on 35mm adapters:-canonfdlensfix02.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods