f1.4 or f1.8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 24th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

f1.4 or f1.8

I am getting an AF Nikkor 50mm lens - shooting with an xh a1 with a lens adapter. Would you prefer f1.4 or f1.8? - I heard the f1.4 dof is too shallow.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Todd
Todd Smaretsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Trustee

If it is, you can just close down the aperture.

The brighter the better, but 1.4 vs. 1.8 difference is negligible when dealing with video.
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for responding. Good to know; I will go with the f1.8.

I am so grateful for this forum!!!
Todd Smaretsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #4
New Boot

personally i would go with the f 1.8, i'm not sure about the nikon but with older japanese lenses the bokeh ( the quality of out of focus region in the shot) tends to be more pleasing to the eye with lense that are slightly slower i.e. f1.8 as apposed to f1.4 , it seems you sacrifice some of the quality when you go for brightness, but even with an f1.8 lense you will probably want to stop down a bit because you will still get quite extreme dof with the aperture fully open , and aparently the nicest part of your lense optics is at around f5.6 , so i would say more importantly would be that you have a bright focus screen like a canon ee s screen or something and your lense is f2 or faster , your cool
hope this helps
Robert Gradisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Trustee

Todd,

I have an adapter and i have both the F1.4 and f1.8. I found the f1.4 more useful because of the larger rear lens element. The smaller rear lens element of the f1.8 will cause a subtle vignetting on the extreme corners when i want to use a larger gg image area. The larger rear lens element of the f1.4 eliminates this problem. With the 1.8 you will have to zoom in more than the 1.4 this will result in a smaller gg image and thus slightly grainier.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods