DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Would I be mad to buy the Mini35Compact? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/118793-would-i-mad-buy-mini35compact.html)

Stuart Campbell April 7th, 2008 02:32 PM

Would I be mad to buy the Mini35Compact?

OK, we were going to buy a Letus Extreme, now I've been hearing a lot of build quality issues from many different places. Now I'm thinking we should just make the investment and buy P+S.

However, I've had a good look around the web site (is it me or is it quite confusing) and I see the Mini35c for JVC GYHD which we intend using it on and then there's the 400 Oszi.

Am I right in thinking that if we buy the mini35c for the JVC it will ONLY fit the JVC and we are buggered when we want it for other cameras? Or, should we be spending the extra 2 grand and buying the 400 plus JVC mount so we could use it on other gear?

Bit confused (been doing too much paperwork and not enough breathing of fresh air)!

Stuart

Nick Hiltgen April 13th, 2008 08:02 PM

You are correct,

it seems that the 35c will only work with the JVC or canon cameras if you want to use it with any other cameras you're currently S.O.L. I would consider what your final product is going to be and the overall value of the adapter to you. If you can live with the Letus you can afford it and a good set of still lenses for the same price as the 35c alone.

Stuart Campbell April 14th, 2008 03:58 AM

Thanks Nick,

That's what I sort of gathered form the über-confusing P+S web site! Shame as it seemed like a good affordable solution until now. No point spending that sort of dosh on something for just one camera, when like you say, for less you can buy Letus and all lenses on decent zacuto supports for example.

Stuart

Claude Mangold April 14th, 2008 08:23 AM

the Swiss rep confirmed this a few days ago: Mini35 compact is either for JVC or for Canon but cannot be switched. and it's 6000 euro. i'm not going to buy it. i'll rent the mini 35 400 and wait until letus or someone else has come up with an alternative. also you must thing about what goes in front: you really need to use HS primes like Cooke or Zeiss , at least with the mini35-400, and these are a lot more expensive to rent. I suppose it will be the same with the compact 35.

on top, p&s will not address noise questions our extensive tests have turned up - saying simply it's the camera. that's just not correct on their part.

the JVC adapter btw is really swell, but the image is more 16mm than 35mm in terms of dof. picture quality when used with primes is awsome, though. and it has no moving parts .

Bruce Rawlings June 5th, 2008 01:24 PM

I decided against the Letus for the time being due to QC and a send it back culture - too much hassle. THere is now a UK dealer but they did not tell me about that so lost a sale. I bought an SGPro and think it is great - well built with good back up. Don't have to apply for a 'ticket' to talk to them. www.shoot35

Charles Papert June 5th, 2008 10:09 PM

Gettting ready to sell my 400 series Mini35--bad news: DVX relay. Good news: will be packaged with FU-1000 viewfinder and custom breakout so you can actually operate the thing handheld and have a really sharp viewfinder to judge focus with. It will go in the classifieds when I am ready to sell, but since I'm not quite there yet (have to go through everything, test it, tidy up the case etc. and I'm on a pilot at the moment) thought I'd just pop this in here to see if anyone is particularly interested in this--feel free to email me via the forum if this is the case.

Nicholas de Kock June 10th, 2008 01:24 PM

Received my Letus Extreme about a month ago and very happy with it, as a photographer going to video it's a dream to work with and very solid in construction. Will buy another two when I have the money.

Matt Ryan June 10th, 2008 01:38 PM

mini35c is great

I have the mini35c and I completely love it. No batteries, lighter than the regular mini35, perfect fit on my camera, designed well and looks great! I truly enjoy my mini35c and could not imagine using a redrock, letus, or sgpro with my camera. They are all tools that are great in one way or another, build wise and quality wise you cannot beat the p+s technik. Probably the most important piece of advice for someone contemplating which adapter to get, Just get whichever one you feel will work best for your needs. Get it already and start shooting. If you are waiting around for more reviews you are just wasting your time. Get out and shoot!

Michael Galvan June 13th, 2008 08:12 AM

I'd love to have the mini35c or at least be able to rent it here in NYC ...

My rental house said they probably won't get one ... does anyone know of any rental hosur here in NYC that will carry it?

Oleg Kalyan June 13th, 2008 10:33 AM

I'd sell my mini 35 and buy compact, one thing to be sure if Canon Xl cameras will stay within 1/3 chip size in future models.

Matt Ryan June 13th, 2008 04:01 PM

supposedly no rental houses will purchase the mini35c as they were described as end user adapters by p+s technik. rep from zgc the u.s retailer said they would most likely not be available to rent and that only the 400 series would be.

Michael Galvan June 15th, 2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ryan (Post 892769)
supposedly no rental houses will purchase the mini35c as they were described as end user adapters by p+s technik. rep from zgc the u.s retailer said they would most likely not be available to rent and that only the 400 series would be.

Thanks Matt.

Hey, let me know if you would ever be willing to rent your unit out ... there are times when I'd like to use the mini35, and I'd like to try the compact.

Oleg Kalyan June 16th, 2008 11:20 AM

Sorry couldn't find it in search,
Canon XL H1S / H1A have an an electronic image flip function?
Thinking of buying a PS Technik Compact, which doesn't have a flip if
I understand correctly.

Oleg Kalyan June 16th, 2008 10:34 PM

Michael already answered, it does, thanks a lot!