What is up with these weird patterns? [CLIP] at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What is up with these weird patterns? [CLIP]

www.nitrofour.com/l50_1.wmv

Anyone know why those weird patterns are occurring? You can see them to the bottom left of the tree in the opening shot. This is a brand new Letus Extreme, using a Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens (upgraded Nikon mount). 1/48 shutter.

UPDATE:

No one seems to like to respond in this subforum, fortunately I happened to figure things out anyway:

It looks as if raising the f-stop and disabling the ND filter, as opposed to enabling ND filter and bringing f-stop all the way down to 1.8, causes the weird patterns in the image. Are old Nikons known for doing this? How does it make sense that going to a higher f-stop induces weird patterns?

Last edited by Julian Shapiro; April 15th, 2008 at 07:43 PM.
Julian Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Major Player

What was your f-stop on the Nikon? I get that when I stop the lens to anything higher than F4. Try to keep the Nikon wide open or at 2.8 or F4 the highest. It's the GG structure showing thru due to a high F-stop on the Nikon. Control the exposure using the NDs on your camera and/or adding NDs to the front of the Nikon via a matte-box.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Haha, great timing! I actually just posted that as my solution a couple of seconds ago! Thanks, anyhow!
Julian Shapiro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods