DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   RedRock M2 or the Letus Extreme... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/120597-redrock-m2-letus-extreme.html)

Zach Stewart April 29th, 2008 09:39 PM

RedRock M2 or the Letus Extreme...

For those of you that are currently using a 35mm adapter, could you give us a break down of why you choose yours, and if you would go with the M2 or Letus Extreme if those were your two picks...and why.

I'm hoping to break into this medium soon but being me i have to do extensive research and ask a million questions before i go out and buy something. especially when i can't physically try it first. thanks in advance for all the help.

Ethan Cooper April 29th, 2008 10:25 PM

The M2 is a slightly older design, and I don't believe it flips the image like the LEX does without a costly add on.

The good news for you is that both should still have a good resale value so if you get one and don't like it, you can turn it around for roughly the cost of a rental or less.

I don't have a whole lot else for you, except maybe look at the Brevis and LEX instead of the M2 and LEX. I think both the Letus and Brevis lose less light than the M2, unless they've improved the M2 while I wasn't looking.

Ryan Whitefield April 30th, 2008 02:27 AM

I would recommend the Cinevate Brevis.

Michael Y Wong April 30th, 2008 04:54 AM

I'm with Ryan on that one. Smallest & lightest 35mm, which is a huge plus for run and gun events such as weddings.

But the biggest reason for the Brevis 35 is simply to due it's low light performance. Even with the flip module there is barely any light loss.

Michael

Ethan Cooper April 30th, 2008 06:45 AM

Full disclosure here, I bought a LEX so I may be biased.

I believe that the LEX has the same light loss characteristics as the Brevis (with flip module) and it's an all in one design that doesn't require a separate flip module. I don't know how the Brevis with flip module compares with the LEX in size and weight.

Here's a question that might help in this discussion. What camera are you planning to use with whatever adapter you buy?

Patrick Moreau April 30th, 2008 07:05 AM

I would go with the Brevis 35 (cinevate.com)

Very well built, the only unit to be micorprocessor controller (allowing for reliable oscillation speed, low battery warnings, auto shut off if you leave the unit on, and better battery life). The brevis system is modular so that you can work with just the unit or add parts on down the road without needing to switch your unit. One of the biggest advantages if that the brevis has replacement diffuser. The standard diffuser has the same light loss as the letus when your lenses are wide open and is even better in light loss when the lenses ae partially closed down. By being able to pop in another diffuser, you can trade slightly more light loss for even more filmic looking bokeh.

Add to that that Cinevate has much faster ship times, an vastly superior customer support, to me the small extra iinvestment was totally worth it. If you don't go with a brevis, the only other option I would consider is the letus, and I think you will find a similar conclusion from the guys at freshDV who tested all of the 35mm adapters side by side and only had two they would consider using in the end. However, I don't believe their review is published yet, I just heard about it while having dinner with them at NAB.

Patrick

Zach Stewart April 30th, 2008 08:12 AM

Thanks to all for the wise words. I'll definitely take a look at the Brevis and I can't wait to see the review from FreshDV. I just might wait a little longer...thanks again

Sean Seah April 30th, 2008 09:49 AM

Yes I second that Brevis has great customer service n product quality. Only thing is the length of the setup seems a little longer compared to the the extreme but I'm not really sure as I do not have the measurements of both. Pricewise Brevis is slightly more but take note it has rechargable batt included in the price.

Disclosure: I'm a brevis owner too ;p

Ryan Whitefield May 1st, 2008 12:29 AM

What type of camera are you using ?

Zach Stewart May 1st, 2008 09:26 AM

I'm using a Sony FX1, but will also like to have the flexibility to hook it up to my HC1 as well.