What would be better for a Redrock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 5th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Major Player

What would be better for a Redrock

I've got a redrock, on my Canon XHA1, with a Canon FD mount, but i have a choice to get a minolta or Nikon mount. I haven't bought any lens yet, so im curious what i should do? Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
I've got a redrock, on my Canon XHA1, with a Canon FD mount, but i have a choice to get a minolta or Nikon mount. I haven't bought any lens yet, so im curious what i should do? Thanks!

You should go for a Nikon mount without any doubt. You could us some Zeiss ZF lenses then (they have a Nikon mount), that would be some killer set-up!
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Major Player

after asking this question, i come to find that my grandfather has a bunch of minolta lenses sitting around. Living on a student income (100$ a month) i dont really have money to buy a nice set of lenses, so do you think a minolta mount would be worth it? or should i just keep my FD mount and ask my OTHER grandfather who has FD lenses for a few of his? kinda confusing situation. ahahah
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Some of those cheap Minolta lenses are very bright. I got one for free too and used it till now on a homemade wax adapter. It's a 58mm F1.4 lens, so quite fast.
You could try to make your own lens mount by using the front of an old camera, but also the front of those macro extension tubes. Just a thought.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Trustee

Spend the $100 bucks, get the Minolta MD mount, and use Gramp's Minolta lenses until you have a little more experience and budget to work with.

Good Luck!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Trustee

Keep the FD mount, buy an FD to minolta adapter ($6). FD has the closest flange focal distance so you can adapt any lenses to it.
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Major Player

We just finished a test of four 50mm lenses on the Brevis MP.1 adapter (using our flip module):

1. Nikon f1.8 50mm
2. Canon FD f1.4 50mm
3. Minolta Rokkor f1.4 50mm
4. Nikkor f1.4 50cm

The Minolta lens had very low breathing, excellent sharpness and low chromatic aberration in our mini-review. At HD resolutions (relatively low compared to film) all four of them held up quite well. The fellow testing the lenses, Dave Clement, did comment specifically on how much he liked the Minolta lens. Dave's backround is primarily working with 16mm and 35mm film.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods