Is the JVC relay compatible on the 300? has anyone used the hd100 with the 300? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 7th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Is the JVC relay compatible on the 300? has anyone used the hd100 with the 300?

I'm trying to find out if the JVC relay lens is compatible with the older 300 series mini35. If so has anyone used this combo with the jvc hd100, and has any info i could be aware of when looking at this?

And can I order the JVC relay for the new mini35 or would i have to find an "old" jvc relay from the 300?

Is there more grain when using this setup in HD? all specs are still very sparse and any info i find isnt much.

I keep hearing about a noise issues with the 300, how loud is it? would it be considered loud enough to bother sound from a shotgun mic pretty close to the camera?

thanks in advance!
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Call P+S technik?
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Major Player

I sent then 2 emails and I have not gotten any response, I talked to ZGC and all they could tell me was that they were advised not to use the 300 with HD cameras...

They didn't know weather or not the relay would fit it either. So i guess more than likely its not a good combo? Ive used it before on an xl1 and it looked good, but i always hated the xl1's look so i never really could tell how a good camera would handle it. I'm just trying to avoid spending the 4K for the letus relay lens, or the extra 9k for a new mini35 when i would much rather spend that on an HPX500
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Giuseppe, I find P&S very unresponsive to client enquiries or issues. I'm not surprised that you didn't get an answer.

when we queried them about noise in certain reds and greens after tests on gretag-macbeth color charts (with HS-primes), they just sent word via the rep that the GY-HD251 is a cheap and lousy camera and that's all you can expect! not very helpful indeed - especially when one thinks of the cost of these P&S things.

so our questions are still open - probably too highly specialized even for this site.

as soon as a viable alternate product is available (Letus??), I'll stop using the mini-35 because in this business we all really need vendors who are helpful, not snoddy. And I am already using the JVC adapter for projects where a 16mm-look makes sense. But I also wonder how long JVC will look at this situation without taking action, because when you add the cost of a 251 plus that of a mini or compact-35, your almost where the RED is (without glass ).

I'll ask our rep in Switzerland if he knows about the 300 and JVC.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for that info, yeah I never got anything back from them. I am sticking with my letus for now.
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Major Player

I got some feed-back from my vendor on this issue: apparently, the difference between the 400 and the 300 is that the former can flip the image internally while the latter can't. Meaning the relay lens should be the same.

But I wouldn't invest based on this info alone. I would actually test it before spending. All info concerning these products is really vague.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Mangold View Post
I got some feed-back from my vendor on this issue: apparently, the difference between the 400 and the 300 is that the former can flip the image internally while the latter can't. Meaning the relay lens should be the same.

But I wouldn't invest based on this info alone. I would actually test it before spending. All info concerning these products is really vague.
They both flip the image, I believe he was talking about the new "C" model, that one doesnt flip the image. The difference is build quality, noise, speed control, and GG type.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #8
Major Player

Giuseppe, right you are, the vendor called me back yesterday when he realized I was talking about the 300 not the compact

so apparently 300 and 400 differ in that the former has a rotating device while the latter has an oscillating one, with much better picture quality, less noise, etc. Can't tell myself since I never used a 300.

apparently, they do share the same relay device, though, he says.

The vendor is André Kurtz of Dedotec Schweiz who import the Mini35 here.

Do you have any info whether Letus plans to make a Compact-type device available for the GY-HD? I couldn't figure out.

It's just that I find the Compact awfully expensive especially since it fits only on the specified cam .
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods