DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   A few question about what to buy with a 35mm adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/121847-few-question-about-what-buy-35mm-adapter.html)

Mark Doherty May 17th, 2008 06:42 PM

A few question about what to buy with a 35mm adapter

I am considering buy a redrock 35 mm adapter however i have a fe questions that need answering before i commit to purchasing one. I will be primarily using the camera with a xha1 but may also use it with some smaller cameras as well.

The questions i need answering are:

1. Would you recommend a small monitor mounted upside down or buying the microx to flip the image. I like the idea of seeing the image upright however i have heard that you lose some light with the microx and also having the monitor might be handy for focusing but it will also add more weight to my setup.

2. the second question is to do with lenses. I am planning on getting a nikon mount and would like to know some of the advantages of having different lenses with different focal lengths. At the moment to me it jest makes sense to get a wide lens and then if i need to just move closer to the subject i am filming if i need a closer shot. What is the purpose of have four or five different lenses?

Bob Hart May 17th, 2008 10:13 PM

The choice of focal lengths is part of the creative toolset available to the cameraman.

Longer lenses have a shallower depth-of-field and backgrounds and foregrounds can be softened to direct attention onto the subject. They do not lightly forgive focus errors by the operator and are difficult to manage on dynamic subjects.

The camera commonly moves to hold the subject and the background moves in the frame.

The appearance of objects is flattened, a perspective effect in which more of the sides of a ball shaped object is visible to the camera.

Scale of movement of the subject towards or away is diminished. A common usage is the long shot of the man perishing in a shimmering mirage in the desert, lots of movement towards the camera but getting nowhere.

Wider lenses have a deeper depth-of-field and enable closer and far objects to remain apparently sharper relative to the subject. They are more user-friendly on dynamic subjects. The wide lens is more often used to allow the subject or several subjects to do the work of moving within a fixed or gently moving following frame.

The appearance of close objects can be deepened, a perspective effect in which less of the sides of a ballshaped object is visible to the camera.

Scale of movement of the subject towards or away is amplified. A common usage is in dynamic follows of foot pursuits through alleyways and forest undergrowth because the apparent pace of the action is amplified.

The use of a zoom lens is conducive to lazy film-making where compromises are made on the best creative perspectives to enable faster production. Initial use of a zoom lens sometimes conditions an inexperienced cameraman to use fixed prime lens choices for their ability to frame the subject alone from a fixed position rather than moving the position AND choosing the fixed lens to best suit the composition of the image.

Hopefully a good DP will contribute and put to ground any incorrect statements I have made here. I am not an industry professional so please do not regard my comments as valid but conduct your own reading and research.