What is this circular background blur, home made DOF Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #1
New Boot

What is this circular background blur, home made DOF Adapter

Hi all

I have recently completed my first prototype DOF adapter. Utilising a vibrating wax GG.

I am just curious about a slight problem I am noticing which is beyond my knowledge of lenses.

It is attached and appears as a circular blurring of the out of focus background? It doesn't appear to affect the focused portions of the image and isnt following the vibrating pattern either which is almost vertical.

Only thing I can think of is the GG is too transparent?? not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this circular background blur, home made DOF Adapter-dof-circular-blur-example.jpg  
Craig Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #2
Major Player

It's called "vortex" or something to the sort.
I believe it can be resolved by using a different achromat.

The apefos had a similar problem. I'm almost sure it was the achromat or the diffusion screen that changed it.
It basically looks like massive barrel distortion.
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #3
New Boot

I experienced the same problem with my DIY adapter. Like this: http://www.pettersen-prod.com/35mm%2...web/still4.jpg

I had great luck in changing to a different, larger achromat that I made out of two binocular front elements. The "Vortex" dissapeared completely. The GG was not changed.
Jon Pettersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #4
New Boot

ohhh ok,

I'm not actually using an achromat at all as the camera could focus on the focus screen without one.

is this a secondary reason for using a achromat? am i correct in it's main purpose, to reduce the minimum focal distance of the video camera?

might have to try and make one.

cheers
Craig Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #5
New Boot

It really depends on what camera you use. I have heard that the HV20, for example, can be used without and achromat. However, It exhibits a lot more barrel distortion.

Here is the tutorial I followed when I made my own achro: http://www.jetsetmodels.info/pics/achromat_tutorial.pdf
Jon Pettersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods