4 Questions about: XH-A1 & Letus Extreme, 24F, etc! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1
New Boot

4 Questions about: XH-A1 & Letus Extreme, 24F, etc!

Heyya guys -

Been browsing the forums for weeks now, and I've gathered some great info. But I've had some questions I had to ask for myself and get some answers for -

I purchased the XH-A1 a few weeks ago, and actually haven't even shot much with it yet, selling my Canon GL2. I've got a pretty good feel for Canon workflow, but I had a dumb question about the SD Card...

How do you get the SD card to open on your computer to put the presets on it - do you need a separate USB plug? Does it come with a cable I'm missing here...? The manual wasn't too specific on putting pre-made presets onto the SD card. I'd appreciate an answer to my silly question. :)

#2, I've always shot in 30fps on my GL2... I'm not familiar with the picture result that 60i will give - and also 24f. I've heard of some movies being mangled by shooting 24f due to strobing in some movement shots, etc... If I were to shoot 24f, handheld, with some action - would artifact be bad? What about if I had a Letus Extreme? (which I intend to get)

#3, regarding the Letus 35 Extreme. I want it badly. I love the look. Now, I hear the adapter is the "tip of the iceberg," but what do I need, bare bones. The rail mounts, I'm sure - but which? I was a bit confused on the letusdirect site... And how do the rails behave handheld? If I wanna throw the camera over my shoulder and be able to run a bit in action, not confined to a tripod all the time, am I screwed?

And also, the lens mount - Canon? Nikon? I'm curious as to what people think are better. If you order a canon mount, are you bound and doomed to it? Can you have both - I figure it just kinda screws on there, but I wanted to be sure... How much do people spend on their lens kits?

And what are people's lens recommendations? 50mm is the standard, but what about lenses that pull from, y'know, 72mm to 120 or whatnot... What threading size do you need on the Letus, 72mm? Would a lens from an EOS camera work?

And oy, finally! #4, what tripods - ($200 range) do you guys recommend? Something solid that'll perform well and is ah, affordable? I can probably flex a bit on the price if you guys have any recommendations.

I'm sorry for the ridiculous flurry of questions. Eternal friendship to the nice folks who can shoot me off some answers. :P

Again - thanks in advance!!!

-Anthony-

www.gravitas-productions.com
www.myspace.com/gravitasfilm
Anthony Sellitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Major Player

#1: To load and unload presets and pictures from the SD card, get a memory card reader. I paid about £10 (US$20) for mine, which reads all the popular card types (SD, CF, Memory Stick, etc.). It came with a USB cable and Windows XP recognised it straight away with no software installation.

#4: I cannot think of any tripod for £100 (US$200) that would be good enough for anything other than locked-down shots, especially if you are going to load the camera down with 35mm adaptors, rails, and all the rest of the "budget Holywood" gubbins. I've read good things of the Matthews M25 for about twice that price, though you may be close to it's weight limit. I use a Manfrotto (=Bogen) 525 tripod and 501 head. The tripod is fine, if a little heavy. The head is not as smooth as I'd like. The 503 head would be a better choice for you because of the extra weight, but still might not be satisfactory. I get the feeling that Miller, Vinten and Sachtler are popular, despite their expense, for good reasons.
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Major Player

For the rail system:
I have a set of Indirails, and i use them on my redrock and i still love em http://www.indifocus.com/

for the mount:
See if you have any old relatives or sorts that have lenses. A lot of people have a "photography" phase. I personally have Canon FD lenses. and i like them a lot, but i've also heard good things about nikons, those are the only two ones i would really consider. I have a 50mm 135mm 70-200mm and 28mm. Those are my basic, but than i have an 500-800mm, and other various lenses.

For the handheld, id go with the DVrig http://www.dvtec.tv/id27.html, or what im hoping to get soon is a Glidecam with a Vest and arm.
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #4
New Boot

Answer some questions

How do you get the SD card to open on your computer to put the presets on it - do you need a separate USB plug? Does it come with a cable I'm missing here...? The manual wasn't too specific on putting pre-made presets onto the SD card. I'd appreciate an answer to my silly question. :)

Okay, just buy a usb card reader for $10 and plug into USB plug on computer. Transfer preset to card. Simple.

, I've always shot in 30fps on my GL2... I'm not familiar with the picture result that 60i will give - and also 24f. I've heard of some movies being mangled by shooting 24f due to strobing in some movement shots, etc... If I were to shoot 24f, handheld, with some action - would artifact be bad? What about if I had a Letus Extreme? (which I intend to get)

24f works great but strobbing on pans. Might want to shoot 30f on XHA1 if this strobe is unsatisfactory. 60i actually looks pretty good. This camera does not give you that harsh video look like other cameras.

#3,
regarding the Letus 35 Extreme. I want it badly. I love the look. Now, I hear the adapter is the "tip of the iceberg," but what do I need, bare bones. The rail mounts, I'm sure - but which? I was a bit confused on the letusdirect site... And how do the rails behave handheld? If I wanna throw the camera over my shoulder and be able to run a bit in action, not confined to a tripod all the time, am I screwed?

Okay, letus is great, but will need a rail support. Go ahead and but the 45cm with 15cm
extension. If you add a mattebox, you will need the longer length. Also the rail support and the letus is quite heavy. I don't have a mattebox yet. I can imagine it will be heavier.
it is a very solid steup. No handheld here. MAby without the rails support, but the letus is a hevy sucker. I don't like the idea of that much weight on the front of my lens. But I hear steve dempsey shoots without the rails, so it is possible.

And also, the lens mount - Canon? Nikon? I'm curious as to what people think are better. If you order a canon mount, are you bound and doomed to it? Can you have both - I figure it just kinda screws on there, but I wanted to be sure... How much do people spend on their lens kits?

If am am not mistaken you can have both. It is just an attachment, but is cost $100 extra to buy it separately. I use a nikon mount because I had old Nikon Lenses.

And what are people's lens recommendations? 50mm is the standard, but what about lenses that pull from, y'know, 72mm to 120 or whatnot... What threading size do you need on the Letus, 72mm? Would a lens from an EOS camera work?

I have a 50mm Nikon f1.8($100 on amazon) works great. This is standard. MAke sure manual focus lenses are bought. Costs less. 85mm f2 or less is next and then 28mm f2.0 or less are the standards. I have an old sigma macro f3.5 - 4.5 28mm to 80mm and it works okay for macros and basic shots, but really needs a to be f2.0 and less. The faster the better the light and depth of field. I am able to zoom manually fro 28mm to 80mm and with no problem. Just make sure your focus is good. you need a 72mm thread size on the Letus. I have a old sigma lens from my Nikon n60. But like i Said, I barely use them. ou really need a fast lens with fixed zooms. THey work the best.

And oy, finally! what tripods - ($200 range) do you guys recommend? Something solid that'll perform well and is ah, affordable? I can probably flex a bit on the price if you guys have any recommendations.

I think everyone will agree. Do not skimp on a tripod. Buy the best you can that gives you fluid movement and stability. Trust me. You will be glad you did. Spend the cash.

2 canon XHA1's, Letus Exreme, Final cut pro, Adobe premiere CS3
Charles Hesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Here's the tripod I have after searching reviews on DV Info.
Very solid and smooth. I'm filming action and scenery. Easy to set up quick, very stable.
Lock and load, level and go!
It comes with a quick release plate which I did not realize till last week.
Besides the camera it's the best piece of equipment I have.

$675.95 at BH Photo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_System.html

---------------------------------
Canon XHA1, Libec 38, Vegas Pro 8
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thesken View Post
Here's the tripod I have after searching reviews on DV Info.
Very solid and smooth. I'm filming action and scenery. Easy to set up quick, very stable.
Lock and load, level and go!
It comes with a quick release plate which I did not realize till last week.
Besides the camera it's the best piece of equipment I have.

$675.95 at BH Photo

Libec | LS-38M(2A) Professional Tripod System | LS38M2A | B&H

---------------------------------
Canon XHA1, Libec 38, Vegas Pro 8
I have this one too - a really nice tripod. The only thing it lacks is variable drag - but it's very smooth.
Mark Harmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods