extreme > XL mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Major Player

extreme > XL mount

I heard that the brothers Le were making a new XL mount - Any News?

I loved my old Letus35 XL,
that mounted directly to the body of the Canon XL-H1
Now I have a Letus35 Extreme and it is better (plus no magnification)
But I miss the ability to run and gun

benton
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Trustee

a relay for the xl is in the works but i doubt it will be cheap
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks Phil,
I have heard it is in the works , and I still use the old Letus XL - but there is magnification & the quality is less than the Extreme - still -it is great to Run and Gun with a 35mm adapter. I wil have some footage up from a fashion shoot I did with the old Letus up pretty soon
John
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

This comment and suggestion is purely speculative, might not work and is mentioned only if a person is obsessively desperate to mount the Extreme direct to an XL and has some workshop skills or access to people to do.

Chances are, if you still have the old Letus XL and the new Extreme, you may be able to mount your existing XL relay. The outer diameters of both rear bridging rings are 76mm, give or take the thickness of a layer of paint finish. The inner diameters are different.

The XL version is a thin walled extrusion tube. The Extreme's version is a thicker walled machined tube. The rear shoulder on the XL flip enclosure is wider than the rear shoulder on the Extreme, approx 74mm versus 66mm.

My "imagining" is that with the achromat removed from the front of the Minolta lens used on your XL, leaving the Extreme's own internal rear achromat installed, an additional inner sleeve ring of approx 6mm depth, approx 74mm outer diameter made for the larger inner diameter of the XL bridging tube and inner diameter of 66mm to match the rear shoulder of the Extreme and three radial threaded screwholes through both the XL ring and the new inner sleeve ring, you could hack the XL relay to the back of the Extreme and get acceptable results with it.

The existing XL direct relay model's magnification issue would remain as this is related to the fixed field-of-view of the Minolta lens used, however your resolution should be improved compared to the old XL version as the Extreme's internal optical path is said to have been improved along with having a finer textured groundglass.

My clip at YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yugfv4ZVXgg

illustrates a non-authorised method of extracting the rear tube off the back of the XL flip enclosure. No attempt to remove the achromat from on front of the Minolta by stabbing through the glue then levering or prising off with blade implements should be made as the achromat will chip or crack - I promise - sincerely. (Notice the use of the word "will" not "may".)

The glue should be carefully sliced away until the corner of the achromat and its junction with the Minolta lens is found. Then it is likely that strong finger pressure alone will finish the job or stretch what is left of the the glue joint enough that a thin razor blade can trim the remaining dags and release the achromat.

If it does not, then do not perservere as any more determination will likely be destructive.

It may be that the Le brothers would have initially experimented and would know if the older XL relay fails to focus on the groundglass through the new optical path of the Extreme.

There is enough similarity in the general dimensions of both appliances for me to think that this hack would work, though not as well as the method of attaching to the front of an existing camcorder's own zoom lens.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 5th, 2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods