any word on the relay lens for JVC HDxxx cameras??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Major Player

any word on the relay lens for JVC HDxxx cameras???

This was due to be out months and months ago... what happened?
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:53 PM   #2
New Boot

I wrote some updates in my post... but that time seems to have passed:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=117080

It's very pricey, too.
Mike Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Major Player

I wouldn't hold your breath.

January...February...March...April...May...June...July....etc etc etc

In my experience Letus are one of the worst companies out there when it comes to communicating with their customer base. I wouldn't expect any news from them either.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah I already posted on that one... This is really the worst way to present yourself. I have had direct quotes from quinn, that hasn't held up to anything... If you don't know for sure, dont tell!

they are 6 months behind what they said they would be... and every month i ask, they give me a date of 2 months later.

And I bet you this... when the relays start to come out, it will be for the 2/3's inch cameras not the jvc, It seems like no one is working anything at the same time, its all one at a time. So im positive they will put out the 2/3's first, then possibly the 1/2 inch for sony, THEN the 1/3 JVC

I just cant believe how crazy long of a wait its been for this one item, that the information has been changed so many times... From $1,200 for the relay to now $4,500, and from late march, to now who knows when... If you don't know your deadlines or prices DONT TELL ANYONE. I'm just tired of waiting.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Time taken may equate to thoroughness this time round. Let's face it, they've been under pressure to say something. There may also be a registered design issue to examine if their own relay resembles P+S Technik's too much. All these things take time.

The original Minolta-based direct relay for the older Letus35s was enthusiatically received.

In short time people wanted more and fixes for the two related achilles heels, a smaller area viewed of the groundglass and the resolution loss and confined camera to groundglass field-of-view, which became known as multiplication factor.

If it really comes down to it, there might not be too much of a hassle to adapt to Letus, Brevis, SGPro and Redrock M2, P+S Technik's own direct relays for JVC GY-HD--- and Canon XL family and in a curious twist of fate, they might just end up being cost-competitive.

For the Le brothers, 2/3" might be turning out to be a much more difficult challenge as the back-of-adaptor to groundglass distance via flip path might need to be shorter, which would defeat their existing universal adaptor philosophy. This may be why the P+S Technik PRO35 and MINI35 products, whilst sharing common components, are dimensionally different.

Getting the relay for 2/3" sorted for all apertures without a visible ring of sharpness radiating outwards from centre whilst focus is set may be a challenge. They are unlikely to turn something loose with a defect like that otherwise the consumers will howl like skittled dogs.

P+S Technik might be happy to sell a few of theirs and wouldn't it be a turn up for the books if they actually made a hack for the rear end of the current Letus models to fit up their patent bayonet connection. Unlikely of course but who knows. Cashflow is cashflow no matter from whence it comes.

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 2nd, 2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods