DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Follw focus question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/129055-follw-focus-question.html)

Bruce S. Yarock August 31st, 2008 03:15 AM

Follw focus question

I'm using the letus extreme with my Canon H1, and the Letus rail system. I bought an inexpensive follow focus rig from the Indian company that sells on ebay. It works very well except for one big problem.
Their follow focus rig comes with 6 differentring adapters that clamp doun over the focus ring on your prime lenses. Their ring adapetrs only come in 5 sizes, and they only fit on my nikon 24mm, 28mm, 85 1.4mm, 105mm. I also have a 35mm and 50mm , with no rings to fit these two primes.
Has anyone else run into this same problem? Are there any other ff systems that fit right up to the lens ring, making the ring adapters un necessary? I'd like to know what anyone else is using.
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video & Photography

Bruce S. Yarock August 31st, 2008 03:21 AM

I forgot to include a picture of the ff system that I bought.

CINE Follow Focus+ 12" whip for canon xl2 GL2 sony ex1 - eBay (item 350093612080 end time Sep-06-08 05:21:35 PDT)

Bruce Yarock

David W. Jones August 31st, 2008 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are a number of options available depending on your budget.

At the top of the food-chain would be having gears professionally fitted to your lenses.

Do you have a per lens budget that you would like to maintain?

Here are a few of my lenses geared.

Bruce S. Yarock August 31st, 2008 08:56 AM

David,
Thanks for the reply. Do you do ths or is it someone else? can I give you a call? If so, email me your number.
yarock at a o l d o t com
Bruce S. yarock

Jamon Lewis August 31st, 2008 08:16 PM

That follow focus should work with the JVC and Letus HD100, no? I'll have that same problem, I have a 35 and 55 I'll need gears for, please let me know what you did to resolve this problem.

Bob Hart September 1st, 2008 12:09 AM

I don't know if Dan Diaconu's lens gears are still available. His method of securing the gears I think but am not sure, was a tapered collet method. With this method, gears can be fewer, with a few common outer diameter sizes and many more individual lens diameter fits provided by collet inserts.

There may be some options for you if his gears are still around. Dennis Woods at Cinevate may know.

Bruce S. Yarock September 1st, 2008 07:11 AM

Jamon-
i don't think you'd have any problem using it with either camera. The only poroblem I'm having is commoing up with a solution to gear rings i still need. I'll post when i figure something out.
Bob-
thanks. I'll give Dennis a call.
bruce s. yarock

Jamon Lewis September 1st, 2008 01:26 PM

Thanks, hows the make of it? The price is good but I would hate for it to fall apart eventually.

Bruce S. Yarock September 4th, 2008 09:05 AM

Jamon,
I've never owned another , so i have nothing to compare it to. It seems well made, though, and works well.
As far the rings go, they are available from Cinevate, Redrock, and grears35.com. The problem they are all very expensive, cosidering they're just plastic rings.
Bruce S. Yarock

Chuck Wall September 15th, 2008 08:21 PM

Bruce

I just recieved the Indie focus version and it has three rings that fit my Nikon 35mm 1.4 and all my other lenses except my 85mm 1.4 which is uses a 72mm filter size.

Their rings may work on your lenses, I am waiting on a response on the larger ring.

Chuck