DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   A1 with Letus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/133993-a1-letus.html)

Roger Lee September 22nd, 2008 04:22 PM

A1 with Letus

I have several Canon(EF)lenses including prime and zoom.

Is there a Letus adaptor that would work with them and my A-1?

Also, what rails, tripod(etc.) would I need to support such a setup?

TX.

Scott Gold September 22nd, 2008 07:05 PM

Wow, you really didn't do any homework did you?

Do a search for Letus here and then go to the letus website and you'll learn tons.

Roger Lee September 22nd, 2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Gold (Post 941179)

Hello Scott,

First off, thanks for replying.

Please keep an open mind when I respond here.

Homework?

I've read a lot of posts, on several forums. I've looked at several sales websites re: the Letus and, as you apparently know, there are several combo's of Canon lenses, the Letus and different makes of cameras...

My issue is that I'm curious about combo's of equipment re: the A-1, a Letus adaptor and A-1 lenses.

Also, a number of folks will demo their wares so to speak.

They will show you how good it looks but you don't get to hear about focus issues, cost issues, what you need for equipment issues i.e. rails...etc, steadycam or just plain tripod issues.....

well, perhaps you get my drift....

So, after reading and responding to many posts....

I've learned to ask simple questions.

You get the most variable responses that way....

O.K. ?

Rog Lee

Scott Gold September 22nd, 2008 11:33 PM

My bad, didn't mean to offend. Just thought your original post sounded a little vague.

I've been wanting a Letus for a while too, would love to hear peoples suggestions.

Paul Mailath September 23rd, 2008 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Gold (Post 941179)

no I don't think he did, regardless of his claim - The letus website will tell you that an EF mount is available, there are any number of posts here that talk about EF lenses with the A1, setups, tripods etc etc etc

answers to all the questions you ask are here in the Letus and canon forums - all you have to do is search - it doesn't take that much effort and you'll learn all you need to know.

Roger Lee September 23rd, 2008 06:19 AM

Thanks for replying.

I can see my original question is vague. Sorry about that.

Also, I can see the question is redundant. However, for example, pretty regularly I see someone bring up another question about something like "which tape to use?" so I guess I was thinking another question about Letus wouldn't be a big deal.

I'll do some more digging on my own and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Take care all.

Rog Lee

Phil Kay September 23rd, 2008 07:17 AM

Can I suggest the SGPRO? Everything you need in one kit(Adapter,flip module,follow focus,rails,etc,etc) for £1200UK. Here's some footage I took usinf Canon EF lenses - Canon 70-200 f2.8/SGPRO/Canon XHA1 on Vimeo

And here's their website - Welcome to shoot35!

Scott Gold September 23rd, 2008 09:37 AM

Great vids Phil, I've been really digging that SGPRO for a while now. It's got a different look altogether than the Letus and Redrock. It's more natural film DOF if you know what I mean. I've found the Letus extreme to be kinda, dreamy with it's DOF and blur, it looks more like Lord of the Rings in my opinion. Don't know how to explain it but that's what I see. The new Letus Ultimate changes that some but have you seen the price tag on that thing!!!

Will be purchasing soon, would love the SGPRO feedback if you have any.
Thanks,

Phil Kay September 23rd, 2008 10:15 AM

Hi Scott. I tested the Letus Extreme,Brevis,Redrock and SGPRO and the SGPRO won by a long shot. The spinning glass disc gives a much nicer look than the vibrating types and is closest to the look of film. The SGPRO/XHA1 combo seems to be a very popular pairing(search vimeo and youtube). People who have no idea about film/video look at the footage and say "WOW!!". My friend,who never really comments on my films beyond "That's nice...." saw my latest short (Canon 70-200 f2.8/SGPRO/Canon XHA1 on Vimeo) and said "That looks unbelievable! Stunning!.....have you been buying expensive equipment?"

Picture quality aside,which I doubt anyone is going to dispute,there is the build quality. I wasn't expecting such fantastic quality for the price to be honest,it really is excellent. I paid £1200 for the whole 'flip bundle' , the same kit from Redrock or Letus would have cost me double. The only disappointment was the battery pack - it's crap,however I think they might be working on something new? 2 AA batteries last me a days shooting,however it is best to keep them fresh as because as they wear down the spinning glass slows down and starts to show.

I use the 17-40 f4L and the 70-200 f2.8L lenses but I am considering fast prime lenses instead(24,28,35,50 and 105) for that extra 'bite' and sharpness(not that the zooms aren't sharp!)
I've seen videos of people setting up adapters and heard all sorts of comments about it taking hours,I can honestly say it took me less than 45 minutes.

I haven't once had the 'did I make the right choice' thoughts either!

I don't work for Shoot35 so please don't anyone flame me! These are just my personal opinions and everyone will have differing needs/tastes (Canon/Nikon, BMW/Mercedes, blond/brunette,etc,etc,etc....)

Anyway Scott, I hope this helps....

Roger Lee September 23rd, 2008 02:58 PM

Thanks all.

Good stuff.

Thanks again.

Rog Lee

Trish Kerr September 23rd, 2008 03:37 PM

I'm just wondering how much it would end up costing having an sgpro shipped over into the states or Canada, in my case.

Trish

Scott Gold September 23rd, 2008 03:55 PM

Thanks Phil, your comments totally helped. Now time to start saving up that money!

Phil Kay September 23rd, 2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trish Kerr (Post 941772)
I'm just wondering how much it would end up costing having an sgpro shipped over into the states or Canada, in my case.

Trish

Not sure? The exchange rate would put it at $CAN2400 + shipping(I'd say about $50?) but I'm not sure how your import tax works? You could get someone to send it as 'a gift' or get someone to bring it to Canada(this is what my friend in Owen Sound does,but I bring him tea bags and HP sauce....)

Trish Kerr September 23rd, 2008 05:07 PM

yeesh - that's about twice the price of the brevis and letus - i have heard it is a great adaptor though

duty would probably be at least 15% on top of that

trish

Paul Mailath September 23rd, 2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Lee (Post 941485)
Thanks for replying.
"which tape to use?" so I guess I was thinking another question about Letus wouldn't be a big deal.

yea - that one comes up regularly and I'm sure it ticks more than a few people off. The guys that have been here a while (and I count myself as a newbie) have seen and answered all of these questions.

I made the same mistake when I first joined -
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/taking-ca...t-problem.html

here was I thinking I was unique, but it was just another "what camera do I buy" post.

so I started searching and reading and searching etc etc. To search properly you need to set aside some time (a couple of hours at least) and focus on one topic - that might not give you an answer but it will help focus the questions for your next search.

I now have the Canon XH-A1, Letus Extreme, Canon FD lenses, Indifocus rails & followfocus, cavision handgrips & shoulder mount & Libec LS-38.

in my humble opinion they are the best from a price/ performance angle - but you must remember I'm not a professional.

It's your money - take the time and make it your decision, not someone elses.

search the forums (this is by far the best)
take the opinions with a grain of salt (I'm a cynical old bugger)
watch the footage (what looks good to you, not someone else)

there is rarely a clear winner in any of these races (apart from RED) it's got to be the right decision for you - that means you have to do the work.