Ground glass cleaning - techniques by type at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 31st, 2008, 05:14 AM   #1
New Boot

Ground glass cleaning - techniques by type

Hello, I was searching for the information, how to clean several types of ground glasses, commercially available and custom made, but didn't find much about it.

BEATTIE INTENSCREEN CLEANING
I have a problem with beattie intenscreen 55x41mm - it's perfectly new, but it has some rare but visible dust particles. What had I try? First, I tried to remove dust gently with a soft brush. But the some dust seems to retain... Then, I try with blower but again can't remove it all. After that I try to wash it with tap water, but in the progress of drying, the small spots of lime scale occured. At the end I try to wash it with distilled water, but again I have noticed some light spots ... Now I am pretty worried. Has anyone tried to clean this or similar plastic GG with a ultrasonic cleaner and how? Is there another way? How about use a some kind of clean antistatic fluid?

Thanks,
Branimir Zivkovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dont rub it with cloth or similar. Use alcohol 96% Etanol, if you can get it. You can also use liquid soap for dishes and tap water. If is so persistant put it between fingers with soap under running watter (not hot, not cold) and just lightly play with fingers around it. You can use window cleaner liquid also. But be careful not to break it. Beattie screens are famous that brakes very easy. Blow it with compressed air to dry, never use your mouth.

PS
55x41? Zanimljivo, Sto ces s njim?
Igor Babic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Babic View Post
PS
55x41? Zanimljivo, Sto ces s njim?
Hvala na pitanju - radi ovoga :)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/alternati...cro-glide.html
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #4
New Boot

Cleaning GG - Compressor, compressed air can (spray) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Babic View Post
Blow it with compressed air to dry, never use your mouth.
Tried two types of compressed air cans and one small compressor. Each of them has a "problem".

Regarding sprays - it must be hold very still if you don't want to get liquid (air) out. I mean, during the cleaning (blowing), if I shake the can, compressed air from the can make stream of liquid air. And again there can occur visible spots from that liquid.

Regarding compressor - I found one little and strong compressor at local store. But after few minutes of work, a condensation occurred. I suppose that condensation is a mixture of moisture from the taken air, and some kind of lubricant (even for that compressor is stated: NO OIL INSIDE). I suppose the bigger compressor with a larger air tank can solve the problem, but again it can't be carried easily.

What to do?
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Use filters for compressor. You can find them on your store, just tell them what you need. This filters collects water that is condensing because of sudden change in temperature.
Igor Babic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods