How practical is to shoot handheld with a Letus DOF lens attached? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Trustee

I wasn't talking about capturing a Hollywood motion picture. If I had that kind of control, I'd have no trouble shooting with an adaptor and prime lenses.

I'm talking about being stuck in the back of a room, all alone, having to capture an event happening in the same room. Clients ask us to do this all the time. It may be a quarterly meeting, they may have a guest speaker, etc.... But I need to be able to quickly zoom in to get a head shot and then zoom all the way back out to get a wide shot of the whole room if necessary, all without stopping.

So yes, you're correct, but I'm also correct when it comes to certain types of event videography. :)
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #17
Major Player

Mitchell - if you are stuck in the situation you describe, why are you using a letus? keeping the rig on a tripod won't help with zooming. If it was handheld you could move forward. But there are problems associated with shooting a letus handheld -

which brings us neatly back to the original question: "Is it practical to shoot handheld with a Letus adaptor?"

Carry on
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Trustee

Sorry for the thread hijack Arif.

Pete: I'm not "stuck in that situation", that's just an example of a situation that I have work in a few times a year. The rest of the time (when I have more control of the environment I'm shooting in) I use the Letus. I LOVE how you can get shallow DOF in small rooms. Very useful. I love it. In fact I can't wait for them to release their relay lens for the EX3. Phil Bloom says you'll gain almost 2 stops. That makes it VERY useful for me. :)
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey Arif,
I've been struggling for about 3 months trying to develop a working setup for HH with the EX1 and the Letus - and I just figured out how to do it.

My setup is predicated on two things: you have the RR shoulder mount and all it's little attachment gizmos, you have the Letus rails kit and you have a lcd finder unit (like the hood pro etc. I made my own.) where you can place your eye close to the LCD to view the image.

Wait...that's three things. Oh, well.

If you're interested I can send you some pics of my setup. What others have said here is true: it's no other way than heavy but with a counter balance it's very workable. (I'm shooting a 90% hand held movie in May with it so I guess it better be). And shooting in less than controlled, non repeatable conditions like somebody's wedding, well that would scare me.
Anyway, if you're interested...
Best,
David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods