DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Easy, fast way to place adapter on new camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/141544-easy-fast-way-place-adapter-new-camera.html)

Nikolaj Marquez von Hage January 14th, 2009 05:06 AM

Easy, fast way to place adapter on new camera

I have a Letus for a small HDV camera. I will probably use the Sony Z1 for my next project.
It's optics diameter is 72 mm. Now, do I have to buy a new Letus, or can I somehow
use my old one?

It's a comparatively late model, from 2007 I think.

I'm not a stranger to the idea of building a small platform, onto which the Sony camera is
screwed, and then the adapter is placed before the camera, tightly with screwes or something, so that it won't move with respect to the camera.

My idea is to NOT screw the adapter in place onto the camera optics. To avoid light falling into the space between camera and adapter, one could simply use a McGyver-like
black fabric of some kind.

This solution, if standardized, opens the possibility to use the Letus with all sorts of cameras that have a standard size screw mount on the underside.

Before I start working on this (it would probably have to include some metal work) I thought it would be wise to gather some comments from other Letus users.

Nikolaj Marquez von Hage January 14th, 2009 05:15 AM

To clarify: my idea (not original in any way I'm sure) is to place camera and adapter
onto a common support, and fix them in relation to each other that way.

The design of this support and the materials to use: thats the question.

For a McGyver approach, maybe just a thick block of wood may be sufficient as base?

Ted Ramasola January 14th, 2009 06:28 AM

Nikolaj,

The video/film industry usually refers to this you describe as rod rail supports.

Here's one from letus,

Letus Corporation - The Manufacturer's Main Website

another from cinevate,

Cinevate Inc.

You can also get ideas viewing the rigs with redrock,

http://www.redrockmicro.com/rig_gallery/39.html

I also got ideas here and made my own rod rail supports.

There are others with cheap versions but just as good and would serve its purpose.

Ted

Nikolaj Marquez von Hage January 14th, 2009 12:59 PM

Thank you for replying. My fault for not being clear enough: what I would like to discuss is a support system that eliminates the need for special step-up or step-down rings when attaching the adapter to the camera.

An example: I buy a Letus35 adapter suited for the SONY Z1 camera.

But suddenly I realize I want to use a Panasonic HVR200 P2 camera.

Now, if I had a special support system that fixes the adapter and camera independently of each other, the problem is solved.

Anyone built something like this?

Bob Hart January 14th, 2009 08:21 PM

Nicolaj.

My personal preference would be to use the adaptor ring to fix the adaptor to the filter mount thread on the camera - AND - use rods support. This is the only sure way to keep the optical axis of the Letus and camera centered.

If you take care and set the rods support up properly, you should not add unacceptable strain on the camera lens filter mount unless you do something violent. Tearing the filter thread is more acceptable to me than the front lens of the camera getting chipped if I take a heavy fall and the rear of the separately connected Letus gets slammed back.

If you want to go your way, you will have to design a stronger rods support for the Letus body because the single pillar under the front is not enough.

Have a look at this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yugfv4ZVXgg

You will see a saddle and chair arrangement I made on front of the Letus. To do it properly, you would need two pieces, one on long front tube, one on short rear tube of the Letus body or the 72mm mount ring you already have.

One final caution. The achromat and internal condenser are positioned to work with the camera lens set an exact position back from the achromat. There is a little bit of room to change things but not much before you run out of focus range on the camera.

Nikolaj Marquez von Hage January 15th, 2009 04:59 PM

Thank you for your informed answer. I'm not as enthusiastic now, so I think I'll go with the conventional solution.
Regards,
Nikolaj

Bob Hart January 15th, 2009 09:35 PM

Nicolaj

I did not read your first message properly.

Which Letus did you buy :-

Letus Extreme/Letus Elite/Letus Ultimate for cameras like Sony Z1?

Letus "Mini" for much smaller Handycam style cameras?

My previous comments will be no good for the "Mini" model which may vignette on a larger camera if you use a step-up ring to make it fit to the filter thread of a larger camera.

Aaron Pin at letusdirect or Quyen or Hien Le at adapterplace may be able to tell you if the Letus "Mini" can be used on other larger cameras.

If your Letus is an Extreme/Elite/Ultimate model, you only need to order the correct adaptor ring ( I call it a bridging ring ) to fit between the back of the Letus to the lens filter diameter of your new camera. If the camera is a Sony PMW-EX1, then you also have to order the special achomatic dioptre which adjusts for the special optical characteristic of the Funjinon lens and 1/2" sensor system on the EX1.

Bruce S. Yarock January 18th, 2009 01:07 PM

If you bought the Letus extreme for 72mm camera lenses, it will fit on any 72mm camera (i'm pretty sure...). I've had mine on my Canon XLH1,canon A1, Sony Z1 and Sony FX1.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video & Photography