DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Intro to 35mm... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/142879-intro-35mm.html)

Andrew Allsbury February 1st, 2009 11:03 PM

Intro to 35mm...

Hey guys,

I am considering the RED Scarlet *hopefully* in a few months...but would really like to get a chance to try my hand at a 35mm adapter in the meantime. Ideally I would like to spend under $400 and find a DOF adapter that works well with the HV30 (as I shoot most of my professional work on my xha1). Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive 35mm adapter?

Andrew Allsbury February 2nd, 2009 04:10 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

Nelson Alexandre February 2nd, 2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Allsbury (Post 1005484)
Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

Well... You have inexpensive (and bad adapters), and you have good adapters for... Fantastic prices! Sorry but you can't have both!

Some years ago you had to spent fortunes on a P+S. Now you have SG; Redrock; and Letus at fantastic prices for what they are capable of doing.

If you want cheap you get cheap quality. No 400 bucks adapter really works (at least no one that I've heard about).

On the other hand, I don't know why you are going to spend money on an adapter if you are going to buy a Scarlet, but if you must, all I can say to you is:

Buy a good one because if you don't...
1st - Will not understand why they are so popular
2nd - You're going to be frustrated on how much you've spent on a ridiculous item
3rd - The other way around is for you to be even happier with your future Scarlet and say to yourself: "I really have a great camera and all adapters suck!"

Remember one thing. Scarlet CCD is smaller that S16 so many mates are planing to use their adapters with the Scarlet. Go figure!!!

Bottom line: If you want to invest in an adapter invest in a good one. If you want it cheap by a used good one. My choices based on performance vs price are (best first):

- SgPro Rev3
- Redrock M2
- I never shoot with a Letus but many are very pleased with them.

If you want to invest in a new adapter for your Scarlet I would go for the SgBlade. I've ordered one and I think it's the best adapter you can buy in the sub 2000USD range.

Good luck

Andrew Allsbury February 2nd, 2009 10:08 PM

Thanks for the insight nelson, its appreciated

Greg Tay February 3rd, 2009 04:44 AM

Check out the gt35pro range of adapters. Many have used this successfully.

Leonard Levy February 4th, 2009 05:13 PM

I would look for a used SGPro Rev2 or Rev3 adapter. They are wonderful units and should be inexpensive as they are now superceded and people will be dumping them. Much smarter than buying an inferior lesser known type of adapter. You will need to get a rails support though and that won't be cheap.

The rev2 will be cheaper and is identical except the height of the lens is not good for matching with a mattebox.