DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   why buy letus when you can buy canon d5 mkII (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/144043-why-buy-letus-when-you-can-buy-canon-d5-mkii.html)

Ram Shani February 18th, 2009 05:38 AM

why buy letus when you can buy canon d5 mkII

just wonder why one would buy the letus ultimat or even the exterm for 35mm DOF
if he can with the same amount of mony buy this great canon 5d mk2 hd cam with full hd recording and a full frame 35mm

James Venturi February 18th, 2009 06:26 AM

My understanding is there are still big limitations in using the canon as a video camera. The EX1 is an amazing camera, just without the shallow depth of field.

Yang Wen February 18th, 2009 08:19 AM

Ram if you intend on shooting only B-rolls with a 35mm adapter + prosumer camcorder, and you don't mind shooting at only 30p, and you shoot in variable lighting conditions including low light, then there is absolutely NO reason to purchase an adapter over the 5D2..

If you always shoot in ample lighting, have long takes, values live production audio, and 24P is important to you, then the adapter is still a good way to go. Timing is everything, if you need to shoot now, then get the adapter, but I'm pretty confident that the 5D2/D90 technology will find its way into a proper camcorder body sooner than later.

If you shoot with a high res cameras + adapter, then all bets are off because 5D2 is obviously only 1080P

John Stakes February 18th, 2009 09:59 AM

There's already a thread on this same question. Can't find it, but basically it just depends on what tools will benefit you the greatest. It's just like a mechanic asking "Why would I buy all of these wrenches when I have an adjustable wrench?"

JS

Casey Krugman February 23rd, 2009 05:16 PM

Stop it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stakes (Post 1013973)
It's just like a mechanic asking "Why would I buy all of these wrenches when I have an adjustable wrench?"

JS

It's more like a surgeon asking "Why would I buy a scalpal when I could just buy an exacto knife?"

Listen, the fact that the 5dmark2 can shoot video is nice, but the lack of control, audio inputs or any of the things that you could easily find and need in a video camera are lacking to say the least. The 5dm2 is a great photo camera with an interesting if not intriguing video function. However, this does not make it a video camera. Please Please Please Please stop acting like this is simply a video camera in the shell of a photo camera. It's not.

Chris Barcellos February 23rd, 2009 05:48 PM

I'll be able to answer your question in a few days. I have the 5d2 coming. I grew tired of the continuous fight to keep my adapter aligned, the continuous double focus grind, the weight of the camera and adapter along with imbalance. The challenges associated with shooting with adapter, look like mountains compared to the 5d molehills... but we shall see.