DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   letus & hidden import charges (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/146375-letus-hidden-import-charges.html)

Daniel Alexander March 22nd, 2009 09:19 PM

letus & hidden import charges

Hey people, does anyone know of any suprise import/tax charges I should be worried about when buying a letus elite package to be shipped to the UK? It seems no one from the Letus team can give me a specific answer to what i will be charged after I have already paid for the package and I'd hate to learn i was yet to be stung buy hundreds more.

The reason I ask is because I know of people who have bought lenses from the states to be delivered to the UK only to find that they have to pay extra money towards import tax (or something). Would really appreciate some input as my budget is so tight and an unexpected surplus wouldnt be good, Thanks.

Vincent Oliver March 23rd, 2009 01:30 AM

You will have to pay the vat @15% and the Royal mail (ParcelForce) will also charge you a handling fee of approx £12.00. If DHL, UPS or FedExpress are used then you will not incur the handling fee.

You should be able to find a UK importer, do a Google search for creativevideo.co.uk

Daniel Alexander March 23rd, 2009 08:44 AM

thanks vincent, i did a search at creative and its £2524.25 plus postage for the Elite bundle which still EXCLUDES ring/lens mount. With the extras including packaging thats near £3000.00 as opposed to £1633.00.

Stuart Campbell March 23rd, 2009 11:00 AM

For any import into the UK from countries outside the UK you will be liable for

Import duty (dependant upon the item you are importing)
VAT at your local rate
Handling charges

For photographic equipment reckon on between 4 and 6 percent duty, then add the handling charge and postage, then add VAT to it all to get your total fees.

Kathleen Little March 25th, 2009 12:20 AM

tax

I just bought zacuto baseplate kit for just over £1,000 and had to pay £166 (inc £12 handling charge) in tax on top! I was a bit surprised but now I just have to budget it into costs when buying from the US. As if the weak pound wasn't bad enough!

Kathleen Little March 25th, 2009 12:22 AM

ps

still cheaper than buying in the UK!

Daniel Alexander March 28th, 2009 07:02 AM

£178 on a £1000 purchase, bit of a nasty suprise. I spoke with letus and suprisingly there are a few options they offered me to help overcome the problem

Andy Wong March 31st, 2009 09:57 AM

I am completely stumped at how they calculate the charges. I have bought things from abroad and the percentage charge seems to vary.

If you are buying from LetusDirect, they'll use FedEx. The charge will be calculated depending on the declared value of the item. You won't have to pay at the door unlike courier services like UPS, but they will send you a bill which you have to pay at the bank or the post office.