DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   35mm Adapter help...PLEASE IM NEW!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/146426-35mm-adapter-help-please-im-new.html)

Peter York March 23rd, 2009 01:17 PM

35mm Adapter help...PLEASE IM NEW!!!

so im going to buy a letus extreme 35mm adapter and i was wondering what thread size i would need and what lenses work best for the letus i have right now a canon EF 75-300mm lens and was wondering what lenses you guys use? thanks alot!!!!

pete

David W. Jones March 23rd, 2009 01:56 PM

72mm adapter.

What lenses work best? .... Well how big is a ball of string? ... It depends!

The best thing you could do would be to sit down and set a budget for all the items you will need to properly utilize the letus Extreme DOF adapter.
Because you will need much more than just lenses.

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2009 02:03 PM

Moved here from Canon XH.

Bruce S. Yarock March 23rd, 2009 02:43 PM

Ditto what david said.
You'll also need rails and a follow focus.
I started with a Nikon 50mm f1.8, and eventually added-
24 f2.8
35 f2
50 f1.4
85 f1.4
105 f1.8
135 f2.8
I also bought a Tokina zoom 28-70 f2.6-2.8, but haven't really used it much yet.
Btw, I have an extra, real clean 135 if you're interested.
Good luck
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo

Peter York March 24th, 2009 08:09 PM

this is a really tyro question but what is a follow focus? i do know that i will need the rails and i already have 2 canon EF lenses from my EOS but the lenses are like not top of the line will this make a difference in image quality sorry for these ridiculous questions i just want to know as much as i can before i make this investment

Bruce S. Yarock March 25th, 2009 03:01 AM

peter,
Follow focus- use the search function and google . there are numerous manufacturers.
Lenses- stay with manual lenses with manual aperture rings, good glass and iris 2.8 or fatsre.
Bruce Yarock

John Gibbins April 10th, 2009 07:34 PM

What are PL and Oct'9 on the Letus, I too am waiting to grab the Elite version but cant really determine what these are?
You get a choice of either.
Sorry for jumping in, I am out of time and really need help here.

Richard Hunter April 10th, 2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Gibbins (Post 1077116)
What are PL and Oct'9 on the Letus, I too am waiting to grab the Elite version but cant really determine what these are?
You get a choice of either.
Sorry for jumping in, I am out of time and really need help here.

Hi John. PL (positive lock) mount is for the most common cine lenses. OCT19 mount is for certain Russion cine lenses (see link below).

Primes : RafCamera, Russian Cameras and Microscopes

For the Letus, you need to choose a mount that is compatible with the lenses you are planning to use with it. So unless you are going to use very expensive cine lenses you won't have to get the PL or OCT19 mounts.

Richard

Bob Hart April 10th, 2009 10:10 PM

Partial response - more to be added.

List of lenses tried on Letus Extreme.

I have been meaning to to this for a while but have procrastinated. It is a layman's description, not a professional's and the individual lenses tried are not necessarily representative of the types and models as they are nearly all second-hand used and abused. Maybe this could be a sticky but a visit to the websites with the assessments of professionals might be better value.

Peleng f3.5 8mm fisheye. 24mm film frame only. Vignettes on wider groundglass view as has been designed to present a circular image to the 36mm x 24mm stills frame. OKay wider if the true circular fisheye view is required for an effect. Good colour rendition. Minimal flare for this style of lens. Backfocus (collimation) is critical with this lens. Corner brightness falloff may be observed.

Zenitar f2.8 16mm fisheye. Vignettes if Letus Extreme has been modified for maximum available groundglass view. OKay for normal Letus Extreme. Colour rendition is a little smokey and flare performance is inferior to the Peleng. Backfocus (collimation) is critical with this lens.

Nikon f4 12mm - 24mm zoom. Vignettes on wider groundglass view at its wide end as is a digital stills lens. Backfocus is critical. Is a nice sharp lens if set up right but softer than a good prime. There is only one stop of headroom and this lens WILL provoke groundglass artifacts, even at f4 in high contrast and bright overcast conditions. It is a rectilinear lens so lines remain straight but corners are pulled. Very slightly flary wide-open. Corner brightness falloff may be observed. How good this lens can be can be seen here.

Tokina f2.8 17mm - 35mm zoom. Vignettes on wider groundglass view. Noticeably softer than a prime lens. Noticeable blue cast to image.

Angenieux f3.2 25mm - 250mm zoom (ARRI mount version with PL adaptor). This lens is suited only to the 24mm movie frame for which it is designed. Colour and contrast rendition is excellent, even on an old abused lens like this one is. Image is softer compared to modern lenses.

Kinoptik (also re-housed as Century) f1.8 9.8mm. (ARRI mount version with PL adaptor). This lens is suited only to the 24mm movie frame for which it is desgined. Image is softer compared to modern lenses. It is also flary in certain lighting conditions.

The look is distinctly different and it will not cut well into the origination from conventional lenses. Indoors you will find it almost impossible to light as the view is exceptionally wide. This lens I regard as a desperation lens when no other will do. A hand-held foot pursuit through a narrow alley looks cool with this lens.

The front element is exposed and very easily damaged as objects look much furthur away than they really are leading the operator to collide with the subject. Lens is less prone to damage than 14mm ultra-wides with hemispherical front elements.

Sigma 14mm f2.8. This lens is a little soft fully wide. The Nikon 14mm f2.8 is sharper. It will provoke an artifact in high contrast or bright overcast conditions at about f3.5 in the Letus Extreme, P+S Technik Mini35 and a home-built AGUS35 with 5" disk. Indoors in artificial lighting it is far more forgiving and the lenses if this style are extremely handy in confined spaces. It is a rectilinear lens so straight lines remain straight and corners are pulled. On a wide groundglass view corner brightness falloff will be observed.List of lenses tried on Letus Extreme.

FOOTNOTE:

I put a 2 hour session in on this only to lose the lot with a computer crash as I tried to copy and paste into the field. I forget to save first to a word doc. So am going to procrastinate some more.

John Gibbins April 11th, 2009 06:35 PM

Thank you so much for your reply.
I have gone ahead and ordered the Elite starter bundle without the mounts.
Now I go absolutely insane anticipating it's arrival!!!!
Pray for me.

David W. Jones April 13th, 2009 05:26 AM

So how are you going to mount a lens without a mount?

John Gibbins April 13th, 2009 10:37 AM

I have included in the order the Canon AI mount as it seems more than a few are using those lenses.
You get one free mount with the Letus Elite bundle so, I went ahead and did that.
I am now off to the big city to grab a few lenses. :)

John Gibbins April 13th, 2009 10:40 AM

..........sorry, I meant the Nikon AI, obviously.

Dennis Dillon April 15th, 2009 06:17 PM

John,
Congrats.
My set up is
1. Zacuto rails
2. Nikon mount
3. Zeiss Primes 21, 28, 50, 85, 100
4. Red Rock FF
5. Red Rock Matt Box
6. Be Bob DC out Adapter for Letus .Do not rely on AA batteries.
7. SACHTLER DV6.
8. Be Bob Remote Zoom

ALL ON AN EX 1, SN 10006. YES, I'M AN EARLY ADAPTER. Full disclosure, I'm a member of the SONY ICE Team.

Rob Collins April 16th, 2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Dillon (Post 1097483)
6. Be Bob DC out Adapter for Letus .Do not rely on AA batteries.

I haven't heard of this and a quick search didn't help--can you provide a link?