what light to use ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 21st, 2003, 03:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what light to use ?

lets say you would like to light a scene (inside) filmed with the mini35 what is your opinion on light.
how much light do you need ? 3x 150w professional lights ? or 3x 300 or even 500 or 1000 ?
professional lights are quite expensive, what about 3x 300 or 500watt cheap halogen lamps or are professional daylight lamps neccessary ?
Elmar Tewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:58 AM   #2
Sales: Reflecmedia

Good Morning Elmar,

We'll have to see what the community has to say about this subject but in general you need to be thinking about more lighting.

What we talk about at seminars we do with Canon is that you need to step up from a lighting kit to a lighting package but, luckily, not as far as a lighting truck.

You can always white balance the Halogens and they can be a good choice, I've fudged a few productions with them, but the days of being able to do a shoot with 2 omnis and 2 totas are over, at least with the Mini35. Personally I wouldn't worry so much about the wattage as the overall number of lights i.e. instead of 3 500w think 6 or 7.

The general answer we give is that you have to light as if you were lighting for film, not for video.

Good luck,

mizell

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods