Cheapest 35mm solution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheapest 35mm solution?

I have a Canon XH-A1 and I'm looking for the cheapest 35mm solution available. I am strapped for cash and simply cannot afford a Letus or Redrock setup right now, but want to start working on my own shorts and I really want that 35mm look.

I know going for something cheap will mean sacrificing some quality, but I'll just upgrade when I'm able to afford it.
Douglas Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Major Player

You could build your own. It will save you some money and you'll lean alot about how they work.
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
You could build your own. It will save you some money and you'll lean alot about how they work.
How much would a DIY setup typically cost to build?
Douglas Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Major Player

it varies depending upon what you have laying around the house and what you need to buy. Not counting cost of the 35mm lens and the achromat lens, mine cost about $60 in materials. A lot of time was involved especially in testing and tweaking so depending upon how much your time is worth, the price is acutally much higher.

You can read about my trials and successes and even see test video as I progressed through different stages of build:

Mid-Format DOF Adapter - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

There are a few guys that make decent DIY adapters and sell them. Go over to the dvxuser.com site and search the 35 mm adapter forum. They are going for $350- $500. This is a better bet than trying to start from scratch. I've seen some nice footage with these adapters.
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Another approach--a Nikon d90. Bodies are going for around $850. Quality is very good, but not great. Depending on what you are looking for in your final deliverable it may be the most reasonable solution (especially if you have any Nikon lenses--but you will have to buy lenses for any 35mm adapter anyway). The d90 has a grain/sharpness structure of 16mm, with a DOF/optical look of 35mm film.

Just a thought.
Robert Altman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods