Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 59 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 26th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #871
Regular Crew

Noah

I found the alluminium oxyde in a Telescope store, People use this to make mirror.

Alain
Alain Dumais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #872
Major Player

Alain -- great work. I've got server space to offer for images and footage, if you need either.

email me here: jim@ideaspora.net

You may attach the images as you like.

- jim
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #873
Major Player

Resolution

Alain: How many lines are you resolving compared to footage without the adapter? ie. Is the resolution acceptable?

I would really like to look at an uncompressed still frame. Do you have any resolution test charts you could shoot?

The footage is looking good!

Thanks!
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #874
Major Player

Alain, if I read this right... and I might not be... you are using the ring from a UV filter to connect this to your camera?

Sorry but I've tried to read back and my brain just can't hold it all in... :)

an explanation of how it connects and even a pic of it connected would be great.

Thanks and great work. I'm stunned at the level of work and genius in these threads.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #875
Regular Crew

Wow alain static sure is the way to go. Couple things in this picture http://www.kheops-tech.com/~ad3d/IMG_2110.jpg
it looks like your uv filter is connected to some other irregular shaped box can you tell us what that is? Also in this photo http://www.kheops-tech.com/~ad3d/parts2.jpg what is the piece you are holding at the bottom left? Last thing i heard a lot of people use fresnel lenses to concentrate the incoming light on the gg do you use that too? Wow whoaw Agus, Alain and everyone else thanks a lot.
Dmitri Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #876
Major Player

I think we could open a new thread for this static solution, which is now really working... !
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #877
Major Player

maybe new thread?

<<<-- Originally posted by Agus Casse : I think we could open a new thread for this static solution, which is now really working... ! -->>>

let's give the privilege to alain to open the new thread - "alain's static solution... or aldu35..." or whatever he thinks is ok.

what do you think?

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #878
Major Player

YES... I'll second that new thread which will give it a specific place and if there are any other versions to pursue they can remain in here or start their own thread when ready.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #879
Major Player

do you think this could work with a 16mm Angenieux lens? like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30077
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #880
Regular Crew

35mm Adapter Static Aldu35

Lot of pressure on me now. Maybe I should run away.

Ok I will read all this now and try to answer all.

As you probably understand already I am french Canadien
so I sometime need a dictionnary and it take long for me to answer. :-)

Ps: Now what we should do is to start a thread against War and misery around the world and try to find a solution all togeter :-)

Alain Dumais
Alain Dumais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #881
New Boot

re: Angenieux lens

Yes and no.

It would project an image on the ground glass. The image would be about a quarter the size of the 35mm frame, meaning you would have to zoom in much closer (which will create distortion problems) and have problems with graim on the GG.

Also, the DOF of 16mm format lenses is much deeper. The point of this project is to get a shallow DOF. To get a decent 35mm-like DOF you would have to zoom to at least 80mm which means standing WAY back from your subject.

One final thing: DO NOT spend $400+ on a lense for this project. I have the same Angenieux lense on one of my 16mm cameras and it is *wonderful*, but definately overkill for use with a video camera. Start of with something close to 50mm and as cheap as possible.
Ryan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #882
Regular Crew

Alain

< Ps: Now what we should do is to start a thread against War and misery around the world and try to find a solution all togeter :-)

Alain Dumais >

Your (and everyone else's) best chance of making a difference in the world is through your video. Video that is looking better and better, more like what the general public will readily accept.

Paul
dvdof.com
Paul Doss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #883
Inner Circle

Re:Angenieux.

I second Ryan. As I found out the hard way, the image off the 16mm format Angenieuxs is barely big enough to cover Super16 frame without cropping corners on zoom-through 25-35mm focal length. Good lens but wrong application in this project.

Re: Fixed Groundglass.

The image files agusday2.jpg and agusday3.jpg at www.dvinfo.net/media/hart were originated from a fixed groundglass (microscope slide) prepared with 300 grade aluminium oxide powder. In the centre hotspot of bright image, there is no grain but in low lit corners there is visible grain. If there is any grain to be seen, setting the SLR lens to as small an aperture as you can will make any grain visible.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #884
Inner Circle

Brainpick time. For the first time I have recorded without inverting the camera. (My ego won out over common sense as I did not want to be asked constantly why I was working the camera upside down.

Inverting the image in post seems to have made some problems, probably related to interlace. I've tried de-interlacing but it does not seems to have made any difference.

The .avi playback is fine but DVD-Video is dreadful, with jittering.

OS is Windows 98SE. NLE is Adobe Premiere 6.1. The computer (Pentium 1.6Ghz, plenty of hard drive space, 520Mb DDR) has been fine in all ways except for now.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #885
Regular Crew

Bob,

You have reversed the field order by flipping it upside down. DV is lower field first, and now you're going upper field first. One way to solve the problem is to nudge the footage up or down one pixel to get the lower field in the right place. I'm not 100% sure how else to fix it in Premiere; I know in After Effects you can just tell it to interpret the footage upper field first and then render it out lower field. I'm sure there's good instructions in the "help" file of Premiere, though.

Good luck,
Ryan Graham
Ryan Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods