DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   mini35 still grabs and test video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/17555-mini35-still-grabs-test-video.html)

Dennis Hingsberg November 24th, 2003 11:58 PM

mini35 still grabs and test video

We finally received our mini 35 and yesterday I was able to shoot some test video for an upcoming production and post screen images and test video footage here www.starcentral.ca/mini35rig.htm. There are also some full size screen shots available there which I know some people wanted to see.

Please let me know what you think of the images.

Many questions on the settings used, etc.. are answered on the site so please have a look but otherwise feel free to post and I'll see if I can help.

On a final note I'd like to thank Mizell and Christine over at ZGC for helping us at Star Central Productions. We thank both of you for the tremendous amount of help and support on a product that is probably still not all that well understood by many, yet over the last couple of months you've helped us learn everything there is to know about it in detail. You guys really have been great! Thanks again!

Rob Lohman November 25th, 2003 04:26 AM

Thanks for putting up the pictures Dennis. It looks great!

Mizell Wilson November 25th, 2003 09:41 AM

Dennis,

First off, many thanks. We are glad that we were able to assist you so well.

Wonderful shots, the iron fence shot is just brilliant.

The only topic I didn't see mentioned, that I think everyone will be interested to know, is what your feelings on the spinning ground glass were and what ease, or difficulty, you had in having it disapear, especially considering the slower lenses you were using.

Cheers,

mizell

Dennis Hingsberg November 25th, 2003 10:46 AM

I've seen a few posts here in the past regarding the mini35 so I'm posting a thread I originally wrote in the "The Tools of DV Production area"!

"We finally received our mini 35 and yesterday I was able to shoot some test video for an upcoming production and post screen images and test video footage here www.starcentral.ca/mini35rig.htm. There are also some full size screen shots available there which I know some people wanted to see.

Many questions on the settings used, etc.. are answered on the site so please have a look but otherwise feel free to post and I'll see if I can help.

On a final note I'd like to thank Mizell and Christine over at ZGC for helping us at Star Central Productions. We thank both of you for the tremendous amount of help and support on a product that is probably still not all that well understood by many, yet over the last couple of months you've helped us learn everything there is to know about it in detail. You guys really have been great! Thanks again!"

Dennis Hingsberg November 25th, 2003 10:46 AM

I've seen a few posts here in the past regarding the mini35 so I'm posting a thread I originally wrote in the "The Tools of DV Production area"!

"We finally received our mini 35 and yesterday I was able to shoot some test video for an upcoming production and post screen images and test video footage here www.starcentral.ca/mini35rig.htm. There are also some full size screen shots available there which I know some people wanted to see.

On a final note I'd like to thank Mizell and Christine over at ZGC for helping us at Star Central Productions. We thank both of you for the tremendous amount of help and support on a product that is probably still not all that well understood by many, yet over the last couple of months you've helped us learn everything there is to know about it in detail. You guys really have been great! Thanks again!"

John Hudson November 25th, 2003 11:15 AM

Nice. I really like the iron fence shot at the top right.

John Hudson November 25th, 2003 11:15 AM

Nice. I really like the iron fence shot at the top right.

Dennis Hingsberg November 28th, 2003 12:30 PM

Mizell,

Based on the location where we performed the camera test and studying the footage shot afterwards, it seems we did not run into any issues of seeing 'spinning glass'. In many of the shots the speed of the lenses I used ranged from f3.5 to f4.8. Only the wrought iron fence footage was shot with a 28mm lens at f2.8.

I also want to note that on location I was only using the color viewfinder on the Canon XL1s to make my focus so if there was spinning glass present I would not have really seen it until post or on a monitor. I will have to shoot some more and see at what point I can see the spinning glass.

By the way, the images on our site are not stills from the photo mode on the Canon XL1S. They are frames exported from actual video shot in Canon's regular Canon mode (not frame mode either).

I've had email from many asking about this.

Dennis Hingsberg March 19th, 2004 08:46 AM

Great "mini35 along side a 35mm film" story

Great story towards the end of my post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=22892