Static 35mm Adapter Solution - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 27th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #136
Major Player

Heres a test chart for the optical quality of all of our mini35 designs. Any promising designs should be put to this test to know for sure that its working as well as it can.

It tests for:
1)chroma aberration
2)barrel distortion
3)how much grain is apparent from the ground glass

How does it work?

Step 1: Print out the picture of the test chart on high quality glossy photo paper at 300dpi. You'll find a link at:
http://www.cinematographerreels.com/mini35info.htm

Step 2: Measure the image after it prints out. It should measure 24mm x 18mm.

Step 3: Videotape the image with only the diopter lens your using in front of your camera (diopters are also known as macros, closeup filters, achromats and apochromats) and make sure its in focus and that you are filling the viewfinder edge to edge with the image.

Step 4: Post a frame grab from your video here at full resolution (720x480). If you have straight lines in your frame grab and no color blurring then your mini35 system has pasted the test.

Now if you want to check for how much grain can be seen in your ground glass repeat the first 4 steps with your mini35 system put all together including your 35mm lens.

These tests will check, with precision, everything but resolution. You'll need to shoot a professional resolution chart for that. Post that too if you have frame grabs.

Link to mini35 test chart:
http://www.cinematographerreels.com/mini35info.htm

Brett Erskine
Director of Photography
Premiere Visions
1761 W. La Palma Ave., Suite #302
Anaheim, CA 92801
www.CinematographerReels.com
BErskine@CinematographerReels.com
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #137
New Boot

This might be straying a little too far out of our comfort range (I have almost no idea what they are talking about), but I found this pdf file on the web:

http://www.k-ids.or.kr/science/confe...ion_A/a6.2.pdf

It's a proposal for using a lenticular lens in a rear projection television system. It seems like this is kind of what we are going for, but on a much smaller scale.

If someone can do anything with this, perhaps a lenticular lens could work?
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:33 AM   #138
Vendible Book

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathanael Jackson : hey louis... you've been absent from this forum for quite a while now... how about them holographic screens?

I remember the longest time ago on the agus thread there was talk of having actual plans... seems that topic dwindled to nothing... seems like that would be the best thing to really work on to jump start some real progress again around here...

sorry, it just seems like nothing's really gone anywhere for the last 3 weeks or so -->>>

Well, there are a number of reasons why I was absent, and some are beyond my control. I'm not going into the details or making any promises, but I am going to have something to show in a couple of days, not weeks (the last part is coming, having my fingers crossed).
Louis Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:19 AM   #139
Major Player

Louis....

good for you. Hope for some solutions on the static GG
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #140
Major Player

hey guys, is this thread dead?

what are you doing... any news?
louis, give us a clue...
aldu 35 is ok, but anyhow it needs image inverter, so we will back here anyday now...

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #141
Major Player

I agree. Currently there are two thoughts on this particular problem:

1)on board image flipable LCD screen

or

2)Pechan prism>roof pentaprism or mirror>roof pentaprism

Whatever we end up doing something HAS to be done. You just cant expect to professionally and consistantly operate a camera if you dont correct for both up and down - left and right.

Check out the other threads in "Towards a Film Look Using DV" to find out the latest
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #142
Regular Crew

Louis?

Any quick updates on the holographic diffusion? I'm really looking forward to your conclusions on this. Sorry for the impatience. Thanks.
Justin Burris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 03:58 AM   #143
Major Player

tag
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods