4:4:4 12-bit Uncompressed DVX100 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old March 19th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #166
Major Player

Too late, you'll have to start this experiment over with HDV chips.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...r-03_17_04.htm
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #167
Regular Crew

I'm not an owner of DVX100, but I find this thread very interesting. Someone mentioned grabbing their own CCDs , lenses, etc. and building their own camera. Rockwell (I think) is selling their own HD CCDs (actually CMOS image senser) and they will definitely sell prototypes for something like US$550 I believe.

And for other people who are getting excited about this MOD, there will be a camera announced at NAB, an HD camera that reads the raw data off of the sensors directly to a hard disk. It is designed to mimic a film camera's operation (someone finally gets it!) and the signal will be "graded," similar to a DP grading a film with a colorist, in the computer in post. I'm not sure about cost, or when it will be available, but it should be an interesting camera.

mg
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #168
Regular Crew

Matthew, at least one other camera (the viper) already exists like that, andprobably a few more. I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm really looking forward to attending NAB, and getting a chance to see all sorts of cool new toys i can't afford, haha.
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #169
Regular Crew

I know all about the Viper. AFAIK, this camera will operate like a film camera (ie. push to run, push to stop, use manual lens to control focus, exposure, etc.). Also, I don't believe it will be gigantic and unwieldy like the Viper (ie. the hard drive is mounted in like a film mag and swapped out when full, not some tethered monstrosity like what I've seen of the Viper).

mg
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #170
Trustee

You can read about this camera in the last couple of paragraphs here http://millimeter.com/ar/video_roll_own/index.htm.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:25 AM   #171
Trustee

guys what about the CMOS chips that can be had from Rockwell for about $500 each? they are being used in the JVC HD box cam NOW and are HD res.....

check this
http://www.rsc.rockwell.com/procam/

I would think this is the way to go ...why not make our own cameras?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:42 AM   #172
Major Player

Here's the thing about that:

I am unsure whether this setup will be worth it with a color CCD like the JVC uses, instead of 3-CCD's. This is because in a mosaic pattern, adjacent pixels are combined to approximate the color of the center pixel, so there is a PHYSICAL approximation of color going on, which is why going 4:1:1 or even 4:1:0 is not that bad.

When doing 3-ccd's which are all monochrome, there is precious information in each pixel, and doing 4:1:1 quantization looses quite a bit of information.

What is the semiconductor site for these CCD's? I'll check...the main points are that the chip needs to be progressive, monochrome and read fast enough to do 30 OR 24fps.

Remember also that another problem is the optical front end...where do we get prism assemblies for 3-way beam splitting?

Juan
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:56 AM   #173
Trustee

I would say your best bet is to keep plugging away at your dvx100 mod and forget all else...we are willing to pay you MONEY for your mod NOW
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:04 PM   #174
Major Player

oh don't worry about that :) I got back sunday noon after 24 straight hours of driving from Miami, and then i had to work until 5pm, so i was 'out of order', but work continues as soon as i get back from work today.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:48 PM   #175
Major Player

idea. hmmm....put a rockwell ProCamHD CCD into an old Arri type 35mm film camera!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:58 PM   #176
Major Player

This would cost soooooo much. I think the point here is that there are great cameras out there, they are just way to expensive....the point here is to look for a cost-effective solution and get the highest quality possible.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:03 PM   #177
Major Player

Whoa, never mind, i've been thinking about the wrong JVC camera! I looked at the site and these are clearly monochrome CMOS sensors. I am going to inquire about pricing, maybe there is something here.

Probably, however, they will NOT sell a small amount to an individual for anything less than thousands of dollars.

Juan
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:03 PM   #178
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Juan P. Pertierra : Whoa, never mind, i've been thinking about the wrong JVC camera! I looked at the site and these are clearly monochrome CMOS sensors. I am going to inquire about pricing, maybe there is something here.

Probably, however, they will NOT sell a small amount to an individual for anything less than thousands of dollars.

Juan -->>>

Don't be to sure about that. Especially if you can convince someone it's in their best interest to keep prices at some point where you will choose to look at there CCD's further. It could also help if they understood you may represent a large number of people who are interested in your current work on the DVX.

BTW - Toward the bottom of that linked page, they offer a single CCD for testing setup to interface board for the PC. I suppose you've already noticed though.

-Rodger
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM   #179
Trustee

yes like I said $500 each
Old March 24th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #180
Regular Crew

I dont know how it will help.. but i'll be attending NAB, if you need me to stop by the booth of those Rockwell people (who make the procam HD chips) to talk to them, take pics/video, etc.. just let me know.

I dont know how easy it would be to interface something like that to an existing camera setup.. but if you have the technical knowhow that would really empower dv filmmaking on a budget, heh
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods