4:4:4 12-bit Uncompressed DVX100 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:56 PM   #451
Regular Crew

Fantastic!

High-color saturated images.
High-luma contrast images.

Overexposed scene. Fill up a room with as much light as you have.

And to make it really cool to compare, the DV versions.

Don't remember if this was ever asked. This will all work at 24P, 24PA, 30P, and 60i? How does it handle this sampling rate?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:58 PM   #452
Major Player

Peter, in the process of putting some test frames together. Will have to wait until tomrrow to take some outdoor shots, but for now i'm just re-taking the last shot i posted without the speckles.

Yes, it will work on every mode, although there is no difference between 24P and 24PA at the RAW level, because there is no pull up/down whatsoever. you get the actual 24/30 frames.

Juan
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:14 PM   #453
Major Player

Here's a quick and dirty(not any more) frame. It's very dark, and i'm so happy i got rid of the speckles i can't color-correct straight...so i just uploaded a PSD file with the raw R,G,B layers for you to color correct(align?) at will:

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~pertierr/cap7_RAW.psd

Next, i'm gonna try some different lighting and up-rezing....

If anyone was trying to download the .RAW film strips for the 3-second clip, i apologize because i went over quota and had to remove them. I will put together a clean clip with no dummy pixels...

Juan
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:35 PM   #454
Regular Crew

Why are the frames your posting tilted?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:37 PM   #455
Major Player

Because the camera casing is still open, and that is the position that puts less stress on a flex cable which units the main body to the LCD half-shell.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:44 PM   #456
Regular Crew

Very clean image. There still are some speckles though. Not many, just a few. Must still be some noise in the lines.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:45 PM   #457
Regular Crew

So, once its closed you can post some images that are right-side-up?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:46 PM   #458
Major Player

Yeah, i forgot to note...since radio shack was closed, i had to borrow a couple of capacitors from my lab and I just grabbed a couple of random capacitances...

There is so much I can do with the few i have, so this is the closest i can get. I need a capacitor a bit smaller than this to get rid of all of it, but i'll get it tomorrow.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:49 PM   #459
Major Player

Mark,

Yes, and actually i'm going to try one right side up tomorrow if I can get it to sit right.

I figured the angle wouldn't be a problem for assessing the color and clarity of the image...
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM   #460
New Boot

Fantastic Juan! I've been following this thread very closely. What impressed me most about your last image (the noiseless one) was the latitude it had for correction. I've had to master a lot of footage over the years and this grab was impressively forgiving when correcting for levels and white balance.

Count me in for a mod as well! I trust you'll keep it reasonable =)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:06 PM   #461
Regular Crew

Test Chart

If you can get it upright (or even if you can't) it would be great if you could shoot a few different test charts. I'm particularly interested in the gain in resolution that seems pretty obvious by this image and the test HD upres I did of it. If I remember Scott's book correctly, he compared two images side by side of that focus chart... one that was after DV compression and one if a person could "hypothetically" pull the image straight off the chip. Looks like he's gonna have to put out a 3rd edition, huh? Anyway, the book has some sample color charts, (and that focus chart could give us an idea of resolution if you can't find a more detailed pro chart). Record it to DV tape to so we can see the difference.

John
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:13 PM   #462
Major Player

This is my first try and very bad, but i decided to post it anyway since i need to go back to studying.

I'm having a lot of trouble focusing with the tiny DV viewfinder. Even a small change is evident in the RAW R,G,B frames, but until i build a method for pre-viewing the raw footage in real time this will have to do.

The frames are unaligned in adition to being slightly off focus and the rez chart is not perfectly aligned since I can't see the entire frame of the CCD in the viewfinder...

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~pertierr/rez_RAW.psd

And yes, those few red speckles will be gone tomorrow when i find the right cap size. :)
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:56 AM   #463
Tourist

TKS Juan,
it's time to change skin and to become one ...Viper!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:47 AM   #464
Regular Crew

Focus

If you capture 3 seconds worth of frames while you slowly attempt to focus, you should be able to find the frame in your sequence that is most in focus. Its probably only four or five focus points in question, so just focus slowly through them on the viewfinder.

John
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM   #465
Major Player

Outdoor shot, very dark because it was with ND2 on. completely RAW in photoshop format...push the levels/curves hard, the info is there :)

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~pertierr/leaves_RAW.psd

I've got DV counterparts of all this, in the process of transferring all the stuff...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods