35mm Adapter Static Aldu35 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 6th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #166
Major Player

Hi Alain!

It is a glass uv filter, for sure, but come to find out I quit grinding too soon.

You were right about the grinding time! After comparing your footage to mine, I realize that although my glass appears very fine grain, it needs to be even finer. So, I have taken it back to the ol' grinder for another round since then.
It is looking better and better. I have ground it three separate times and will likely do it some more. Now all I need is a condenser to concentrate the incoming light onto the glass more evenly. Also, I will still likely need that achromat macro adapter.

Thanks for your help!

,Frank
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #167
Major Player

fog filter?

did anyone tryed "fog" filter as GG? does it make any sense? is it possible to see anything at all with that filter, i mean is it transparent too much or not?

any thoughts?

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #168
Major Player

I haven't, but I'd be interested in reading what you find.
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #169
Major Player

aluminum oxide

I just got off the phone with a place called the rock shed http://www.therockshed.com/grit.html .they have 1000 grit aluminum oxide just placed a order 4.50 a pound
2 dollars shipping said he would ship monday morning first thing ........... my order with sis .it took them one week to tell me it won't ship until march and 15 dollars shipping and handling
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #170
Major Player

Good deal Richard! I think I will place an order with the rock shed too
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #171
Regular Crew

at what point will it look shiney

Rocks are polished with 1000 grit.

You roll and roll and finally they come out mirror smooth. So at some point your fine grain will look like polished glass.

If you look at a polished glass surface under an electron microscope it looks like you are looking at a gravel parking lot. So at some point more is not better.

LCD Screens. Jameco.com sells 4" LCD screens that you can separate the LCD from the light source behind it. Some LCD PC monitors are the same way. Essentially all you need to do is physically flip over the LCD and or invert the panel.

fliping the panel 180 LtoR would of course invert L to R rotating 180 degrees would invert top to bottom.

You don't need to do anything "ELECTRONIC" except perhaps lengthen the conductors

Some LCD panels have an integrated light source that would be difficult to use.
James Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #172
Major Player

I have to ask why someone would take apart a LCD in HOPES of fliping AND mirroring the image when you can just BUY one that does that at the touch of a button. They are just as inexpensive too. RMPP for multiple links and prices.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #173
Regular Crew

Monitor Flips H+V

As mentioned prevously...
http://mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/headrest-7.htm

I would far rather have this than mirrors etc
Taylor Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #174
Regular Crew

it will invert top to bottom at touch

it will invert top to bottom at touch of a button right?

a lot of LCD flipout viewfinders do that. My GL1 comes stock with such a viewfinder.

What it won't do is flip L to R. Am I right or does the LCD you found do this as well?
James Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #175
Regular Crew

LCD flipping H+V

James this is what it say,

color/ brightness/ contrast/ volume/ mute
-video input 1 or 2
-Left-Right Picture Switch
-Up-Down Picture Switch
-16:9 or 4:3 Screen Ratio

I have not see this monitor.
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #176
Major Player

RMPP. Click-on-link. R. L.
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #177
Major Player

Hey Taylor since we are on the same page are you also looking for LCD's that have the addition horizontal vertical squeeze and stretch feature? In case your wondering why I would want that ...think of 2.35 anamorphics. Despite my efforts I havent found one. Would you like to help in the search?
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #178
Regular Crew

Sure would Brett, but I think chances are slim...I might need to check panavision/arri options? So you are looking for a LCD that will have the ability to stretch and squeeze to 2.35 with R to L and T to B flip?
Let me know how your achromatics work out...cause I'm DVX ready....if we can get this to work, I would be very, very pleased.
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #179
Major Player

Taylor- Thats right. I know Transvideo makes a box that you hookup to your video between the camera and the LCD but its more than $1000. Anything made for the exact purpose of unsqueezing to precisely 2.35 is most likely going to be expensive. Instead we should be looking for a LCD that has the general ability to progessively stretch and squeeze a image and we will just eyeball it unitil it looks right. Doesnt have to be absolutely perfect. Its just for the camera operator to view the picture correctly while operating because at the same time the camera will be recording the full CCD anamorphically squeezed version of the image on tape. Get it? Lets find it.
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #180
Major Player

Check out these small (2.5-4") LCD screen kits with up/down, left/right flip modes.

No idea on pricings, though I have form-mailed them. Will keep you all posted.

- jim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods