35mm Adapter Static Aldu35 - Page 37 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 12th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #541
Major Player

people who want the X-Y switchable LCD's, just do an eBay search for a brand called " lilliput ", make sure you buy a TFT and not an STN screen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...704539-6752633

Its kinda funny how these are things we already discussed 2 month ago, but oh well...here we go again.

gas
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #542
Major Player

Well...

It's not as if I'm about to strap a 6" LCD screen to my camera. Thanks for the links but they do me no good.

- jim
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #543
Regular Crew

moniteur

4" tft

http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/tft.htm
Paolo Rudelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #544
Regular Crew

John Gaspain

Please don't recomend or buy this, I have this model and this is real crap.

http://www.portablemp3playerstore.c...ial/th-5688.htm

Paolo Rudelli

the one you sugest has only
Resolution 383(H) * 234(V) DOTS
It's not good enought to be able to make focus whit this.

Alain
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #545
Major Player

Re: moniteur

<<<-- Originally posted by Paolo Rudelli : 4" tft

http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/tft.htm -->>>

I guess you could just mount that one upside down.

AH HA! or Ureka...anyways, yea just mount a regular $50 4"LCD UPSIDE DOWN!
Old March 12th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #546
Regular Crew

Don't know if this website is currently used by anyone in here. Thought it might be useful to someone:

http://www.einsteins-emporium.com/science/l-optics/sl215.htm
Louis Demontez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #547
Major Player

Hmmm....what if we all do this?

<-----Read----------Learn----------Progress----->

-Brett Erskine
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #548
Inner Circle

TWO-LAYERED GROUNDGLASS.

For those who are following the fixed groundglass path, here is something which may be of use and someone might develop to a furthur stage than I have the time to do at present.

Whilst educating myself with microscope slides in the method of polishing glass before I turn myself loose on the real glass disks, I decided to see if I could replicate the partial polishing back of the plastic CD disks which seems to confer an improvement in the projected image.

I discovered after polishing back some of the frosted finish on glass slides to a semi-opaque condition, it would be of little use as a groundglass screen because of hot spot and some of the aerial image being apparent.

But with two such groundglasses mounted with polished-back frosted surfaces face-to-face, a more useful projection surface can be found with the finer texture remaining, therefore hopefully better resolution than with a single more opaque frosted surface of coarser texture.

The downside will likely be two internal reflective surfaces instead of one and anti-reflective coatings on the clear sides will likely be mandatory.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #549
Regular Crew

GotGrit.com

Quote:
Has anyone ordered 5 micron grit from www.gotgrit.com yet?
Yes, I did. The guy's name is Tom. Very helpful. I got WAO 5 Micron (white). I also wanted 3 Micron but he didn't have WAO 3 at the time. I did buy some 1 Micron he had (left over from a previous special order) but from what I can tell it's a little too fine and polishes more. He did suggest trying Cerium Oxide (CEO) as a substitute for Aluminum Oxide. He said CEO was soft like WAO and might work as well. Although I didn't order any so I don't know.

Anyway, his WAO seems extremely consistent and from what I can tell, made a beautiful GG. I hope to be testing it this weekend/early next week.
James Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:01 PM   #550
Major Player

I just placed an order at gotgrit.com for the following items:

Aluminum Oxide
WAO5-025 WAO 5 Micron 1/4 LB $1.75USD
Cerium Oxide
CEO-025 CEO 1/4 LB $4.50USD

I don't know much about the Cerium Oxide, but I spoke over the phone with the owner (very friendly and helpful) and he suggested it, so I'll try it out on a piece of glass or something and let you guys know how it goes.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #551
Major Player

Its been mentioned that Cerium Oxide is similar in hardness, but did you get any information on how it compares to Aluminum Oxide in grain size?
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #552
Major Player

Nicholi: I told him that I required something fine for making ground glass and he suggested the WAO 5 and CEO, so I took it that the CEO was comparable in size, since he mentioned them together.

However, I just called back and spoke with Tom and he said that the CEO is 2 micron. So...looks like that won't do me any good for the ground glass. However, I won't mind having it incase I decide to one day make a mirror. :-)
Also, he mentioned that the CEO creates some sort of chemical reaction with the glass when grinding.

Guess I should have ordered WAO 9 instead of CEO with the WAO 5, but hopefully the WAO 5 will be coarse enough to make a fine ground glass. (Thanks for the feedback, James.)
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #553
Regular Crew

An amateur telescope making site I saw described making a mirror using Aluminum Oxide for the 'Fine Grinding' (down to about 3 micron) and then to use the Cerium Oxide for 'Polishing' - which goes much much finer.

Has anyone gone much finer than 1000 grit?

I've got my first adapter done with the 1000 grit and a big fat condenser (no hot spot). My only problem is that I want to be able to stop down the aperture of my SLR lens. Very very short Depth of Field is good sometimes, but not all the time.

I definitely see hotspotting at 22, but in the 11 range, I have a nice consistently bright image with a longer depth of field.

The downside - as you stop down the aperture, the grain just jumps right out. At F2.8 (my current lens' max ap), the grain is basically invisible - but at F11-- yuck.
Jonathon Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #554
Regular Crew

Cool Clip, Paolo

Paolo Rudelli: I like chopping oranges and cups and saucers.

Nice clip :)
Jonathon Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #555
Regular Crew

Grit vs Micron

Well unless this chart is inaccurate or I'm reading it wrong, 5 Micron = 4,500 Grit.

http://www.facetingmachines.com/grit-mesh-micron.shtml
James Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods