35mm Adapter Static Aldu35 - Page 51 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 28th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #751
Regular Crew

John

Sounds like an idea squishing it between two pieces but I didn't try that. I left the filter glass in the housing. It kept the paste away from the side I wanted to remain smooth plus it was just easier.

The toothbrush was just a handy, non-scratching applicator that allowed me to apply the paste in a uniform manner. I'm sure you could use anything that evenly contacted the glass and made the application more uniform. It was the non-uniformity of application that resulted in blotchy unevenly etched glass.

For those who didn't catch it in the lengthy posting It only takes about 1/2 hour for the entire process. Not hours.
James Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #752
Regular Crew

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-AcidGG

Is a pic of my Acid etched gg at 200X the block is a calibrated piece of paper .4mm across. The smaller object marked with a green dot is a hair.

I'll try to get some mechanically etched (1000 grit AO) tomorrow.
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #753
Regular Crew

Hi James, is that a jpg? I think the image isn't linked to properly. I can't get to it.
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:05 AM   #754
Major Player

me too
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #755
Trustee

Justin et al, you are welcome... no pics received so far, though...

I'm working on vibro35 version (some call it alex35) for high-def camera JVC JY-HD10, and of course the roadblock is how to achieve oscillating/vibrating movement of the GG cheaply.

As everyone, I'd much prefer static GG, if at all possible; Jamess said that he did achieve the best results, so I'm extremely interested.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #756
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting offer Alex

but I couldn't find your email, my spam filter kills a lot of legit stuff.

Anyway the link should work now. it only shows the acid etched gg surface at high mag. I'll post a mechanically ground pic tonight.

the pics are .jpg
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #757
Regular Crew

comparison of AO ground vs Acid etched

the pics of the two are up.

If someone has a WORKING Aldu35 with posted pictures, a spare UV filter, and a Self addressed stamped envelope. I'd be glad to etch it with acid.
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #758
Trustee

James, regardless the pic hosting... could you please contact me by clicking here. Thanks!
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #759
New Boot

I'm having some issues with my Aldu35

I've been putting together one of these setups based on all the information everyone has been working with on these boards and I set up a pretty rugged one and shot some test footage.

I ground a UV filter with 5 micron and then 3 micron aluminum oxide for my ground glass. I have to say it came out really well, I did about 5 filters and used the worst one for the testing so I didn't have to be very careful with it.

I have the Century Optics 72mm +3.5 achromat on my DVX-100A. With a 72-55mm step-down ring with the ground glass immediately after that I can fill the 35mm still frame at Z70 and MF00.

I first shot tests without any condenser piece and there was a huge hotspot in the middle of the frame which got much much darker towards the edges, but the image in the center was looking nice hehe.

I can't seem to find any condensers rated at the same flange focal length as my nikon lenses (46.5mm) so for testing I got the closest thing I could find which was a 50x50mm pcx condenser.

My later test shots with the condenser were much better in respect to the hotspot, but there seemed to be some warping occurring which I'm assuming is because my slr lens and the pcx lens are not in sync.

But in both test shots with and without the condenser, objects which were out of focus in the bacground tended to have some kind of brushed swirl look to it and I'm not sure how to correct that problem. The whole setup is still real raw, I don't even have the slr lens mounted onto the adapter, I'm just holding it on so I'm sure stray light is proving to be a problem as well.

I'v got some space to host pics and my test footage, so if I'm not working I'll be able to put that stuff up on Sunday cause I'd really like you guys to see it and give me any of your insight on as to what I may be able to do to get the image to be acceptable.

Thanks to everyone who is working so hard on this rig because if it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't be able to even think about this as a possibility for my projects. As soon as I have all of my stuff uploaded I'll post the links so you guys can check it out. Good luck to everyone. Thanks again.

Nick
Nick Conti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:07 AM   #760
Regular Crew

James B., based on your posted pics, the etched GG seems to give nicer contrast (or at least more image contrast) than the AO GG pic you posted. I'm looking forward to seeing more samples when you get your cine lenses. Nice work.

Nick, I'm curious about seeing your distortion, so I'm looking forward to your image posts.
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:02 PM   #761
Regular Crew

James Webb

James Webb:

I've tried emailing you twice, but I don't think my emails are getting through. Would you mind if I asked a few questions about your particular adapter design?

http://homepage.mac.com/dvx100/.Pict...r_JWebb_02.jpg

What brand/type UV filters are you using as spacers? And what are you using exactly for a condensor? Lastly, was there a specific reason you glued your lens?

Great work, everyone. The work and dedication here is nothing short of astounding. Much appreciated. Aussi, merci beaucoup, Alain, pour avoir lancez cette projet. Pardon my French. I know it's rusty.
David Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:03 PM   #762
Regular Crew

David Kelvin

Bienvenu, ce fut un plaisir.

Alain
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:47 AM   #763
Regular Crew

Sorry David

I did get your emails. I've been slammed at work, etc. and haven't spent much time keeping up with things.

I updated the photo/info. I hope it makes sense.
http://homepage.mac.com/dvx100/PhotoAlbum2.html

The photo is no longer 100% accurate but I tried to explain in the notes.

The only reason I glued the lens to the lens mount and then to the Step-up ring was because it was easy. I knew that the mount would never be used for another lens and if I want to use another lens, I'll just buy another Step-up. Because of course this one is permanently attached the lens mount :) The lens mount DOES work into the overall length of the adapter. Every mm counts! There's even a very slight space between the Step-up ring and the lens mount (probably due to the glue). You can fold a piece of paper in half and fit it in there. So it just goes to show my technique is not very accurate.

Yes, a big thanks to everyone!
James Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:13 AM   #764
Regular Crew

Thanks, James

James,

Thanks for taking the time to update the photo and answer my questions. It helps a lot.
David Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:33 AM   #765
Regular Crew

I noticed I made a mistake in the update. It's been corrected.

Thanks.
James Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods