35mm Adapter Static Aldu35 - Page 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 16th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #811
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Bob. I'll look into that.
David Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #812
Major Player

Edmunds sells an iris attachment not unlike the one used one the P+S Technik. You can use this as well.

Some people may be wondering why you would need ANOTHER iris when theres one already on the 35mm lens. Well the reason the P+S Technik has one for the XL1 (and why it would be a good idea to get one for our adapter IF its for a XL1 too) is because as you stop down the iris on your 35mm lens the grain of the ground glass quickly becomes more and more visable. So rather than adjust the iris on the 35mm lens the XL1 needed a second iris AFTER the GG where when adjusted it wouldnt have any effect on the grain in the image. Thankfully for everyone else that doesnt have a XL1 this extra iris isnt needed.

-Brett Erskine
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #813
Regular Crew

NEW lens adapter test

Here's another test I shot this past Sunday. Shot in Elgin, TX just outside of Austin. The actor is a buddy of mine, David Blackwell (Dazed and Confused, The Rookie). I put some music behind so it wouldn't be too boring.

Definitely could've use that iris attachment you're talking about ;)

-J
James Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #814
Regular Crew

link

Oh yeah...the link.

http://homepage.mac.com/dvx100/iMovieTheater7.html
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #815
Inner Circle

Brett.

Do you have any .jpg images of the "ideal" or close to ideal texture real groundglass magnified with a millimetre or inch reference in the image.

I am experimenting with rolling a bearing race across sheet glass over a thin slurry of 300 grade aluminium oxide.

The object is to drive pits into the glass instead of scratches from the normal rubbing method of dressing glass. This is a throwback to my method of making a CD-R groundglass by rolling the back of a piece of wet&dry paper and pressing the abrasive grains into the plastic.

So far it is looking promising and looks like yielding a finer texture for a given grade of abrasive. The final polish material didn't make a mark however when I tried it.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #816
Inner Circle

Furthur to above on rolling pits into groundglass, the initial passes appear to yield pits which are pinpoint and not stretched or scratches. This leaves a lightly opaque surface consisting of many thin tracks across clear areas of glass.

Subsequent passes to join all the tracks however seems to introduce larger pits among smaller ones.
This might be the new pit chipping out sideways into the previous one which doesn't happen with plastic.

The grade of the texture seems to come back to that of normal dressing by rubbing the groundglass.

Looks like a dead-end.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #817
Regular Crew

Great, James

Rather than take the usual approach... trying to find any faults in your adapter... (which there really aren't any to speak of)...

That just looked great. What a great look that guy has. Nice choice of shots and editing. The depth of field really adds to that type of scene - I love the shot where he 'walks into' the focal plane - starting out of focus and becoming clear as he moves forwards. The low-angle shots are particularly nice as well.

Gorgeous stuff - let me know when you get a short narrative film done... can't wait to see more.

No color correction? Wow - very nice 'raw' color on that cam.

Looks like home :) (We just drove out to Enchanted Rock on Sun.)
Jonathon Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #818
Regular Crew

Nice work, James. Beautiful.
David Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #819
Major Player

Re: link

<<<-- Originally posted by James Webb : Oh yeah...the link.

http://homepage.mac.com/dvx100/iMovieTheater7.html -->>>

james, is it possible for you to make another link of the very same test, but with the possibility to save the *.mov itself, not just to see it. so someone can download your work and analize it on bigger screen?

thank you

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #820
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

Filip-
I'd be glad to post a larger file for downloading (if I can). What size? What codec?
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #821
Trustee

can you post DV codec like you would use for firewire preview out?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #822
Regular Crew

posting a large file

Hey guys-

The file is 238MB in size. If I posted it on my server and gave out my website to all the members on this forum, I'd surely exceed my bandwidth (80GIG) within days. Not because of that file alone, but because I have other .mov files on there that add up to 650MB. Of course, my desire is for people to visit my site...just not so many at once ;)

Suggestions?
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #823
Regular Crew

hello...

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking around this site for sometime now. I finally got around and built my static adapter. Basically, if anyone is interested, I used a 50mm 1.8 lens from my old eos, ground my glass with WAO 5, bought a DCX lens from surplus shed, slapped it together and attached to my Panasonic GS70 with a 10x close up lens and it looks cool.. I was happy at least. Anyway, i did this:

EOS LENS | GG | (DCX) | 10X | DV Camera

I think it looks ok, i need to do some more grinding on the glass, and get everything cleaned better. So, here is a small clip i made with my new adapter:

http://www.jayfor.com/mov/just_dew_it.wmv

Hope everyone likes it... My next challenge will be the acid etching, if i ever get the nerve up to try it... :)

Thanks,
Josh
Josh Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #824
Regular Crew

The acid etching did not work well for me. I just could not get it even. Well, I did use the glass I had already ground, but I don't think that was the reason it was uneven. So, I went ahead and ground it again, with polish grade grit which smoothed out the uneveness. Still not happy with the end result, by now it is too frosted and I need to start over with a new glass.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #825
Trustee

Check here for the grain-free 35mm GG for $30:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...5&pagenumber=4
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods