35mm Adapter Static Aldu35 - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:57 AM   #841
Inner Circle

In the past, I discovered some easy way to evenly coat without bubbles (not to do with GG acid), but I don't remember how. If you get something the same consistancy/texture/stickiness as the acid compound, and try different methods on a test glass, I am sure you'll also eventually find it.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM   #842
Major Player

I havent worked with acid yet but as long as it doesnt act like oil when you add water to it I would think the thing to do would be to water down the acid to a much less powerful, perfectly even mix BEFORE applying it to the glass. I should take a lot longer for the acid to etch away at the glass but this is a good thing as you can move the solution around while it slowly works on the glass and it should NOT be strong enough to cause any particular unwanted patterns on the glass. Instead I would think in the end it would be very even etch. Has anyone tried this? Like I said if water can be mixed in with the acid without them seperating (like oil and water does) then it should work.

-Brett Erskine
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:52 PM   #843
Regular Crew

Good thought

The acid does dilite with water. Diluting it first would have made the stuff 1000 times more easier to work with... thanks Brett for the tip. I'm gonna try that.

John
John Cabrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:10 PM   #844
Regular Crew

acid

I also tried the etching a week or so back and was completely unsuccessful. Patterns everywhere. In fact the grain was more prominent than on my WAO5 GG.
James Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:32 PM   #845
Inner Circle

Has anyone tried a partial polish-back of acid etched surfaces?
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:59 PM   #846
Major Player

Somewhat OFF TOPIC: Who emailed me for grit?

I received an email recently regarding buying some of my extra 6 micron grit, but I hit "delete" instead of "reply" by mistake - the person said they found me email from this thread , so please resend the message.
Ari Shomair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:45 PM   #847
Regular Crew

Bob, I did and it worked fairly well. Somewhere along the line I got a acratch on my smooth side of the glass, so it is no longer any good. What I did end up with was really too frosted. Realize though I had ground the glass twice, then acid etched, then polished. Therefore, my results may not be a good benchmark.
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #848
Inner Circle

John.

It's early days yet but I am getting better results in manual tests polishing the Ohara disks by using a heavy bronze donut shaped piece of metal I intend to use in the tumbler when I get it built.

The reason why I tried this was that whilst I was manually rolling the donut inside a rotating CD-R case with polish slurry to see what was the best angle for a smooth movement of the donut.

After cleaning the Ohara disk, I found polished tracks which had occurred in just a very short time and with no pressure except the weight of the donut.

I think the hole in the centre has something to do with it.

For your smaller filter disks, it may be possible to restore the front face if you dress with your 5 and 3 micron then polish with the cerium oxide if you are using this with a small bronze donut about the size of an alternator bearing.

The larger donut of about 60mm with 20mm centre hole is about 10mm thick. I faced it on a lathe and cut circular grooves in it at about 2mm spacing. You can get good polishing friction with it but no sticking or rough binding.

How it goes for scratches I have yet to find out as like your own efforts, the experimental disk has been abused through previous unsuccessful efforts.

To avoid bending and cracking my disks I placed them on the sheet of glass I have been dressing them on.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #849
Regular Crew

James Webb

Bravo.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:45 PM   #850
Regular Crew

Alain

merci beaucoup.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #851
Trustee

WOW gang I just finished my spinning35 and all I can say is AMAZING!! this thing turns the word VIDEO upside down and inside out! it's just AMAZING how film like the images look now! I feel like I would NEVER want to shoot standard VIDEO EVER again! rockon!

now I have to build a rail system to mount the puppy on the bottom of the dvx100! btw for anyone that is having problems with using macro +10 lenses to get the thing to work on the dvx100 I have found a way without them by using a bigger PCX glass and having it VERY close to the dvx lens
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #852
New Boot

Obin -

I'd love to hear about the PCX

- Damion
Damion Luaiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #853
Trustee

www.dv3productions.com/test_images/dvx100_spinning35.jpg

I jsut LOVE the grain it gives images!
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #854
Regular Crew

Obin

Nice job!

Can you tell us the exact brand/model PCX and where you purchased it?

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #855
Trustee

that website on the threads here that has stuff for cheap lots of optics I bought 2 PCX lenses I think a 50mm and an 80mm or something like that...that image above is out of focus I will try and post more
www.dv3productions.com/test_images/color_work_35.jpg

this is like god has come down and given me the creative ability I have been searching for as a digital DOP..I LOVE digital and hate it at the same time....this spinning35 really changes that for me as a shooter/editor
Obin Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods