35mm Adapter Static Aldu35 - Page 72 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 24th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #1066
Regular Crew

after further experimenting, I found that it was the other side of my condenser that was causing it .. any bright light would make the smallest particle visible, or fingerprint

I'm going to try rearrange my two condenser lenses like this
(the second condenser is the one with the GG .. )

SLR Lens - [)(] - Camera

That way, no dirt or fingerprint will shine up like it did in my other arrangement below ..

SLR Lens - (][) - Camera

Am I missing something? When trying that new arrangement, I can't see any optical distortion, so I guess it's working .. ?
Martin Lindstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:27 AM   #1067
New Boot

tja martin!

just wanted to let you know that i've ordered 2 pcx-lenses, a fresnel lens and a GG in plastic. i will let you know how the fresnel is.. and if the GG is any good. i can't wait til i get these stuff. i hope the fresnel lens is good. that's the lens they use on real GG to get rid of vignetting (you know the guy on voodoofilm who shot through his F4, that viewfinder was a GG with fresnel-lenses on both sides).

i'll let you know later this week.
but hey... hows the GG's coming? you don't feel scanning a GG in high res, like 1000x1000 or something? would be great.

---------
your condenser lens experimentation... why would fingerprints be more visible the way you had it before?

TO EVERYBODY-
is there any software wich will show you how light goes through lenses... that way we could see the difference in (| |) and |) |( must be some software out there... where you're able to see the "light curve"
Eric Ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #1068
Regular Crew

heey eric!

Sounds great! Keep me posted on your progress with the plastic GG ..

My GG is doing great! .. As I said before, I've been grinding one of my condensers, and now after 4 hours + of grinding, I don't think it'll get any better.

Today I tried my theory .. I flipped the condenser, and yes, those irritating bright dots disappeared, BUT .. instead I got some wonderful vignetting .. ! jippi! .. I should have foreseen this .. : /

So, when undoing everything I just, the backlid of my Canon FD lens poped out along with springs and other delicate stuff .. i must be cursed, or something ..

So, back to the first issue .. I guess I'll need some ND filters, and really watch the lighting when shooting, cause there is no way in *beep* I can keep the back of my condenser that clean .. how are guys dealing with this? ..
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #1069
Major Player

Mount your condensers in filter rings, clean them perfectly then sandwich them bewteen two Skylight filters.

Make sure the gap between skylight filters and the GG is far enough to put any dust they get on them way out of focus.

2nd option: Make a vibrating adapter.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #1070
New Boot

- Martin

Did you grind a condenser lens on the flat side!?!
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:36 AM   #1071
Regular Crew

yes, eric, I sure did! :)

anyway, here is a picture of what I am dealing with !

http://www.martin.incmplete.com/mini35/dirt2.bmp

and ..

http://www.martin.incmplete.com/mini35/dirt4.bmp

now, it's really, really hard to see these things in a picture , but look at the bright spotlight to the right .. around it, there are small white particles ..

Actually , Brett .. I am considering building me a oscillating adapter .. I was thinking about making it squareish, with 4 shafts and one motor .. don't know if it'll work, though ..
Old August 26th, 2004, 05:05 AM   #1072
Major Player

"Actually , Brett .. I am considering building me a oscillating adapter .. I was thinking about making it squareish, with 4 shafts and one motor .. don't know if it'll work, though .. "

Yeah that will work...at least it worked with mine.

-Brett Erskine
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #1073
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Brett Erskine : Yeah that will work...at least it worked with mine.

-Brett Erskine -->>>

Hey Brett... do you have any pictures of the rig and result? I definately want to see it.

And Frank Ladner..where are you?
Hows the microcrystalline wax coming?
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #1074
Major Player

Eric: Hey! I still read the forums almost daily, but I haven't had time to work on the adapter at home due to side-jobs. You know how that goes. I haven't given up on the project, though.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #1075
Major Player

Im in the same boat as Frank. I'll post it when its all done and well tested.
Old August 29th, 2004, 03:12 AM   #1076
Major Player

LOL, I leave for 6 months from the site and I see you all are having the same issues. Not a whole lot of forward movement in the last 800 posts. Oh well...have fun building!
Old August 29th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1077
Major Player

John, I posted some examples of mine device working at HD resolution. Still not perfect, but there is no grain.
I don't need the artsy-fartsy grain effect.
Email me if you would like a link to the 25 megabyte full res test clip, it's only a few seconds long.
-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : LOL, I leave for 6 months from the site and I see you all are having the same issues. Not a whole lot of forward movement in the last 800 posts. Oh well...have fun building! -->>>
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #1078
New Boot

i want to see it!
mail to: eric-ohmanATtelia.com

i can host it too if you want... i have 300mb.
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #1079
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Les Dit : John, I posted some examples of mine device working at HD resolution. Still not perfect, but there is no grain.
I don't need the artsy-fartsy grain effect.
Email me if you would like a link to the 25 megabyte full res test clip, it's only a few seconds long.
-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : LOL, I leave for 6 months from the site and I see you all are having the same issues. Not a whole lot of forward movement in the last 800 posts. Oh well...have fun building! -->>> -->>>

cool! I'll search your name for posts to see what you did.

thx
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:06 AM   #1080
New Boot

Les,

Could you send me a link to your footage? I'm at raeshao@comcast DOT net. Thanks a lot!
Ray Zschau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods