35mm Adapter Static Aldu35 - Page 74 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #1096
Inner Circle

Steve.

I'm not the resident expert on this subject however my understanding is that if your intended groundglass has already been finished high quality as an optical filter, all you need to do is use the 1500.

Weldeing goggles glass replacements may need more thorough finishing. If low (semi-clear) spots become evident in the 1500 work you may need to go back a grade then re-dress with the 1500, otherwise perservere with the 1500 until they are gone.

Recommended practice is to move your intended groundglass over a fixed dressing surface.

Some people use a sheet of glass. On glass, some problems with pickup or clinging have been reported. This leads to excessive contact pressure which causes scratches and gouges.

A machined piece of bronze or brass as a dressing surface yields a good result. Cast iron is used by the industry but I understand it may be a special grade which does not have hard particle inclusions in it. I found ordinary cast iron scratched my glass. Aluminium was also no good. It caused scratches and wore away too quickly which killed the grit slurry.

Before you commit your intended groundglass to the process, go along to your nearest pathologist and obtain some microscope slides to practice on. These give you a good feel for it. The feel as you work the glass has a lot to do with the results you get. Keep working on the microscope slides until you can achieve a result without gouges or scratches. It is frustratingly pointless trying to do it any other way.

Finally, cleanliness is next to godliness in this process. If you leave the project unattended and you have pets, you can guarantee contamination with dust or house grit in your absence.

Your intended groundglass needs to have a chamfered edge on the intended groundglass side otherwise the edge corner will sharpen, flake off then roll under into the slurry and gouge your glass. You will need to do this to your microscope slides. The intended groundglass will already have a chamfer if it was an optical grade product but check it anyway.

One of those new little diamond laps for sharpening knives is good for this task. Do it under running water.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #1097
Major Player

Quote:
Recommended practice is to move your intended groundglass over a fixed dressing surface.
Sorry to disagree, but this isn't the case, Bob -- you're increasing the likelihood of scratches and the amount of time required to get a uniform surface this way.

Move your grinding glass over your GG -- in this was you maintain a more even pressure across the GG's surface. It's uneven pressure and dry slurry that cause scratches, and scratches take hours to properly grind out.

Properly mixed slurry and care taken will yield a great GG within a half-hour. Be sure to:

Pre-mix grit and water to ensure a thorough soaking of the grit.

Mix this "paste" with even more water at grinding time (grit to water ratio should be about 1:5, respectively.)

Keep your glass on an even surface.

Check your GG and grinding glass surfaces for dirt prior to grind.

Err on the side of caution when replenishing your slurry -- do it early and often.

- jim
Old October 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #1098
Major Player

Found an interesting GG. I'm not sure if this has been posted before.

http://www.satinsnowglass.com/index.html

Has anyone used one of these before? If so how was it and how much light does it lose?

Seems promising at least (and probably well known to medium format shooters)
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #1099
Major Player

Satin Snow glass

Aaron-

Nice find!. They can cut to any size, dont have any gridelines on it, nearly no grain, and did you check out that price?!

Just ordered ordered one. I'll post my results.

-Brett Erskine
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #1100
Major Player

I think my brain skipped. ;-)
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #1101
Major Player

Yeah same here :D

I was absolutely shocked by the price. Especially after going through lots of other GG pieces on-line and seeing their prices!

Looking forward to seeing your results!

Actually I was just looking at their website again and it seems they are located in Montana - same state as me. I'm going to contact them and see about going down to have a chat.
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #1102
Major Player

Re: Satin Snow glass

<<<-- Originally posted by Brett Erskine :

Just ordered ordered one. I'll post my results.

-Brett Erskine -->>>

Please do -- I'm hesitant because they compare it to 125grit GG -- it's little wonder it compares favorably.

Apparently micro wax is the way to go for most medium format photgraphers -- the Bosscreen is highly sought -- so I'm going down that path next...

- jim
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #1103
Major Player

They quoted me a 3-4 week shipping period. They are going to try and get it to me in 2. Either way it will be a little bit before I can get back to you guys with info. I'll let you know.
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:52 AM   #1104
Inner Circle

"Sorry to disagree, but this isn't the case, Bob -- you're increasing the likelihood of scratches and the amount of time required to get a uniform surface this way." ----

Which is why I took care to announce I was not the resident expert.

Thanks for the correction Jim. One more poor innocent is saved a few hours of useless puersuit down a dead-end.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #1105
Major Player

None of us are resident experts :D Your contributions have always been helpful.
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #1106
Major Player

Quartz

I am very very new to this but I've been reading for hours for the past few days (I don't really know an F-stop from a stop sign).

This may be out of place in the "static" adaptor post...but its a quite different idea from the spinning CD style. This may seem like a stupid question...but is there anyway that the GG could be made of quartz? I would imagine if you made it out of quartz you could take advantage of the piezoeletric effect and put a small high frequency ac voltage across the GG and then it would oscilate without a whole lot of noise. I realize this raises a whole lot of issues, but the main question is could quartz make an acceptable GG?

Matt
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #1107
Major Player

Brett,

Any luck with the SatinSnow GG?
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #1108
Major Player

Satin Snow GG

Its finer grained then anything I've made before...but its not grainless. You will still see grain with this glass. Its better then anything I used but not the perfect solution Im sure everyone is looking for. However it should work great for oscillating adapters.
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #1109
Trustee

Does anyone on this board have a Kit I can buy? I LOVE my 35 adaptor but the build quality is low..I would like to buy a high-quality kit...anyone?
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:04 AM   #1110
Inner Circle

Brett.

How's the hotspot without condenser (when the satinsnow groundglass is used)? The erecting version has a real issue with polished-back AO5 glass through a 7+ achromatic diopter.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods