DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   What Camera's Where Used On The DVDs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/20521-what-cameras-where-used-dvds.html)

David Ziegelheim January 28th, 2004 04:33 PM

What Camera's Where Used On The DVDs

Problem here...can't really evaluate the DVD without knowing the camera and preferably also the lens used.

Some of the shots have a real 35mm DOF. And on some the camera operator moved around so that you would have no doubt its 60i. And I'm not even good at recognizing that.

Even the Pro35 DVD only labels some of the info.

To me, the cost of the 35mm DOF is only justified on a progressive frame. It works otherwise, but since the adapter and lens is soooo much more expensive than the camera, why not use the camera?

So...when will there be sames with the DVX100A (12-bit ADC) and the SDX900? Will there also be more samples with a vivid (e.g. Frida-like) environment. Many of the samples looked B/W.

Also, why is the Pro35 some much more than the Mini35? The only difference appears to be the camera mount.

David

Rob Lohman January 30th, 2004 08:19 AM

I think all the examples on the current (not the pro, ofcourse)
disc are coming from the XL1(S).

David Ziegelheim January 30th, 2004 09:25 AM

Some are VX2000, or at least one is labeled that way. Then the question is what lens was used?

Mizell Wilson January 30th, 2004 09:38 AM

In most cases Zeiss primes were used.

Outside of Phreakers, everything was originally shot PAL, either XL1 or XL1s.

It is my understanding that most used frame mode.

Narren was shot VX2000.

Projekt Mini35 was shot with Hawk "V" Series anamorphic lenses.

That is all the information we have been able to cull from the original filmmakers.

To address some of David's other questions:

We are slowly building a critical mass of Mini35/DVX100 productions that will allow us to create a demo disc of that footage. The same goes for the PRO35/SDX900.

Two productions of note: "Down to the Bone" won the Audience Best Director award at Sundance this year and was shot Mini35/PD150. I posted a link to the Variety article in the forum.

Edward Burns, 1995 Sundance winner for "Brother's McMullen" is currently in production of his next piece utilising Mini35/DVX100. He has purchased a complete package and intends to shoot all of his own movies digital.

The PRO35 disc shows all information regarding the shoot. Each piece, outside of the comparison section, shows which lenses were used for each composition. In addition, the PDF on the disc shows all lenses and camera settings for each shot.

David Ziegelheim January 30th, 2004 10:00 AM

With all the people using DVX100/DVX100As, and all the rentals people talk about here, I would have thought someone would have some usable footage by now.

Is their any footage with an SDX900 (a camera I am much more likely to rent than an HD)?

David

Mizell Wilson January 30th, 2004 10:37 AM

there are many, many productions happening with the Mini35/DVX100 and it's true that the rental houses can't keep them on the shelves.

but there is a difference between the amount of productions and the amount of productions that actually contact us and share their footage with us.