DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   mini 35 film off to film festivals (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/21291-mini-35-film-off-film-festivals.html)

Dennis Hingsberg February 12th, 2004 10:20 PM

mini 35 film off to film festivals

It's been some time now since I've posted regarding the short film I was working on using my new mini 35.

Principle photography took place on the last weekend in November/03 and the very last scene was completed this past weekend. I'm very pleased to announce that my short film is finished now and the results are absolutely outstanding - more than I had really expected even after seeing the DVD demos for myself.

Prior to this I had never used the mini 35 and so far the feedback on my film (especially by those who have worked with 35mm film) has been very encouraging and rewarding. Most swear it is 35mm film, but really the trick is in the 35mm lens adapter! I should also point out that I am shooting with a PAL version of the XL1S although I live here in North America. This yields more of the film characteristics we expect to see with 35mm and is virtually the same effect as using the DVX100 to shoot 24fps. For making films there are many, but one benefit of PAL alone is the fact the resolution is 720 x 576 instead of 720 x 480 and converting to NTSC is easy and the film look frame rate is still preserved.

I've recently submitted the short film to the Hamburg Film Festival, Yorkton Film Festival & Vancouver Digital Film Festival and will definitely post any news should the film get accepted.

Many many thanks to the kind folks at ZGC.com once again!

...and now off to making my next film with the mini35!

Keith Loh February 13th, 2004 12:24 AM

Let us know if you are accepted into any of these festivals. I'm in Vancouver and I'd be interested in seeing it projected.

Rob Lohman February 13th, 2004 05:56 AM

Are you going to put it up or put a trailer up?

Dennis Hingsberg February 14th, 2004 07:02 PM

Unfortunately I can't put it up or it becomes considered broadcasted on the Internet. Film festivals don't like this for some reason, I guess they want to be the first to show it?

Currently there is no trailer and considering it is a very short film I'm not sure I will even make a trailer. For now there are only still images on the site.

Man I'm really full of bad news ain't I? Hopefully I'll have other work with the mini35 to post soon instead.

I'd be happy to answer any questions though about using the mini35 if anyone has any.

Rob Lohman February 15th, 2004 05:56 PM

I'm assuming you can put it up after the festival is done? Would
be nice to see!

Dennis Hingsberg February 15th, 2004 06:45 PM

Yes, definitely I will post it after it either gets in or not! hehe

One thing I have noticed however is that for some reason DOF (depth of field) shows better on CRT as opposed to LCD or PLASMA? I edited my whole project on LCD and the first time I actually watched it on CRT I was amazed with the 35mm look.

I'm not too sure why this is.

Dennis Hingsberg February 23rd, 2004 11:39 AM

Just an update that the short has been accepted to its first film festival!

My short film using the mini35 has made official selection to the 2004 Kingston Canadian Film Festival which takes place this weekend and will be opening for the feature film 'Darling Street' on Sat, Feb. 28 - 9:30 P.M - Princess Court & Sun, Feb 29 -2:55 P.M. - Screening Room #2

For details or ticket information on the festival please visit www.kingcanfilmfest.com for updates or information to other festivals I have entered please visit my home page.

Dennis Hingsberg August 20th, 2004 09:06 PM

The short film can now be viewed online from my site at www.starcentral.ca/trailers/SousLeJour.wmv.

There is also a post going on here discussing some of the details to how it was made, low budget equipment used, music rights, etc.. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=30460

Thanks.