DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   How much adapter is enough? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/237535-how-much-adapter-enough.html)

Bob Kerner June 17th, 2009 05:52 PM

How much adapter is enough?

I am trying to decide how much adapter is enough for my needs. I’m considering the Shoot 35 Blade and Letus Ultimate. Both are excellent instruments, perhaps one a bit more perfect than the other but at a substantial price premium. I’m wondering if I should be tempted to pay that premium based on my needs.

I want a spinner, so that narrows it to the Blade and Ultimate. Having rented the Letus, I like being able to stop down and use faster shutter speeds.

Background: I do not generate revenue through shooting. I’m an educator who uses video for personal story telling and as an adjunct in the classroom. Although I’m not paid directly for the video work I do, I still try to produce a professional-looking product. I shoot with an EX-1. The Ultimate works perfectly with this camera. No experience with the Blade. I’ve read the reviews and the major nits to pick are chromatic aberration and edge to edge sharpness issues, which hopefully are resolved with the new achromat. Some people prefer the regular AA batteries of the Letus to the re-chargeables of the Blade but that’s not a deal breaker. The Letus could be on my doorstep in a week; on the other hand, the Blade would take at least a month to ship.

If money were no object……… But the question I’m struggling with is “Will I see a major difference between the two devices, so much so to justify the extra money?” Is the difference clearly noticeable to the untrained/uncritical eye? Is it unreasonable to be considering a $4k adapter when I won’t be making money off it? (that didn’t stop me from buying the EX-1!!!)

I know there’s no “correct” answer, but I can’t be the only one who’s faced this decision and I’d appreciate your input.

Thank you.

Henry Olonga June 18th, 2009 04:19 AM

Here's my two cents - get the blade buddy.Cost v performance ratio is good and as you do not do this for a living there is little need to pay an extra few thousand for a sliver of performance.With the optics upgrade and the interchangeable discs there is not much between the two and some may prefer the build of the blade.I own one and highly recommend it.Service from Shoot35 is stellar.

Bob Kerner June 18th, 2009 07:36 PM

Thanks Henry. I'm anxiously awaiting someone posting footage with the new achromat. That will address a lot of my question, because if the image improves there's be less of a reason to spend almost twice as much on the Ultimate.

Bob Kerner June 20th, 2009 12:21 PM

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Terry Lee June 24th, 2009 01:09 AM

Hey Bob,

Check this man's site out. Home « Tom Guilmette

Click on the equipment reviews section.

Terry.