upside down monitor solution - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 28th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #31
Major Player

I just tried the idea of using a magnet to trick the monitor to flip the image and it works....BUT I think the magnet might be harmful to the monitor because it started to flash and loose the signal. Im not sure if you can do fatal damage to it so before you try it for yourself hop on google and find out what magnets do to LCD screens.

-Brett
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:52 AM   #32
Major Player

maybe your magnet is too strong?

i know that you can do many nice and funny things with normal CRT screen but with relativelly big magnet.

can you measure the "power " of magnet, and how? (in DIY way of course)

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #33
Major Player

to Joel Corkin

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corkin : By placing my own little magnet in the appropriate spot . -->>>

joel,

maybe you have some jpgs to show us the magnet's size?

did you find anything on your lcd screen, some artefacts caused by that very magnet?

if yes - maybe also some jpgs?

thank you

filip
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:00 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Try different magnets, and positioning. The magnet might be too strong and interfere with the signal, but maybe it is not storng enough and the device keeps trying to reset to normal. Different magnets have different dimensions in their feild shape. So some might be more constricted in the area and direction they work, and can be positioned and aimed better. Rare Earth magnets are the strongest and could interfere with the electronics, destabilise compoonents (like the original magnet) and I think, maybe even wipe parts of your tape reel.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #35
Major Player

Like the other replies, it sounds to me like you're using too strong of a magnet. The magnet I used is very very very weak, so weak that it just barely sticks to metal if at all. I just took one of those thin business card refrigerator magnets and cut off a strip. Then I just wedged the strip between the lcd body and the base, with the black surface facing the lcd. It took a couple times to get the trick, but after that it was fairly easy. I can even tilt the camera around without the screen flipping or anything.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #36
Major Player

Sounds like mine is to strong. Its strong enough to hold a dozen papers on a fidge. I'll have to try cut a piece off a weaker one as you recomended. Thanks.

Sorry no frame grabs and Im worried about doing it to get some.
-Brett
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:29 AM   #37
Major Player

chess magnet?

hey guys, i have plenty (32 pieces, he, he...) magnets here, from my tourist chess set. does anyone tested this (the magnets, not the chess game:) - i'm not in home now, so cannot test the camera with it. any thoughts?
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:51 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi everyone, sorry, I have been in the process of moving houses and things still aren't set up, so I won't be able to send a jpg of the magnet. However, as has been suggested, I would recommend trying lower powered magnets if you encounter interference. The one I am using may or may not be optimal, however, so far it hasn't interfered with the LCD screen's operation.

The magnet is chrome metallic in color, so it is probably a manufactured magnet as opposed to a rare earth magnet. It is disc shaped with a 1cm diamter and a 1-2 mm thickness.

I think a cut up fridge magnet would work quite well, actually.
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #39
Regular Crew

fidge magnet

I tried a fridge magnet. Put it right up agaist the little sensor thing that reacts with whatever magnet is inside the swivel arm attachment. I could only get it to flip once, very quickly, but couldn't reproduce the results again. I even squeezed my finger in there and pressed the magnet snugly against the little sensor. Nothing. My feeling is that those fridge magnets are too weak... or at least the two that I tried are. Whatever magnet is being used inside the arm attachment, it's much stronger in power than the fridge magnet, cause it doesn't even have to touch the sensor for it to trigger.

I'm trying to find some other household found magnet that will work... suggestions?

John
John Cabrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #40
Major Player

The magnet in the GL2 looks very similar to the ones found in those fake magnetic earrings. That might be an option.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:42 PM   #41
Regular Crew

DVX Magnet Solution

Picked up about $12 worth of magnets today from the hobby shop, varying from small to relatively thick in size - perhaps 10 different magnets in all.

However, to my dissapointment, not a single one of them worked on the DVX - they had no effect at all. Maybe because they were 'craft' magnets and not powerful enough, or maybe I'm just not placing them correctly. I'm assuming on the inside of the lcd pivot (screen facing you). Whenever I get a chance next I plan to pick up the next line of magnets they sell, called "power magnets."

Meanwhile, has anyone had any luck finding a magnet that works reliably to flip the image on the DVX lcd screen, without damaging it?
David Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:08 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I've tried using the thin rubbery strip type magnets (the kind you can cut with scissors). It's strong enough to hold up papers. I pushed it in the pivot opening. All it did was turn the screen black.
James Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:44 AM   #43
Major Player

magnet magic

i saw the same effect with my magnet - the black screen. tryed diffrent places - nothing.

can someone who really did the trick, and who is kind enough - to send us jpg or whatever graphic file to show where EXACTLY magnet is placed on DVX camera.

thanks,

filip
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:46 AM   #44
Regular Crew

I can take a photo of the magnet and e-mail it somewhere for someone to host. The DVX is the only camera I have so I have nothing with which to take a picture of the LCD pivot.

The magnet I use is actually a small disc about 1cm diameter and 2mm thick. It comes off the back of one of those LED earings with two diodes that blink on and off. You could probably find them in your local Chinatown, or off of a night-time street vendor who goes to restaurants and clubs trying to sell trinkets like these.

As for the positioning of the magnet that's simple enough to figure out. All you have to do is take a metal screw or nail and move it around the LCD pivot area until you find the spot that attracts the screw. That should also give you an idea about the strength of the magnet you'll need and where to place it once you see what position the LCD would have to be in to come in contact with that magnet and do the image flip.
Joel Corkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:37 AM   #45
Major Player

to Joel Corkin

feel free to download a picture from my site and use the one which fits best. just draw color circle around that area where the magnet should be placed. and re- send it to me. i can then publish just the proper image/s with better resolution and explanation - if needed.

go there:

http://www.astercity.net/~tarasuma/dvx_page.html

thank you,

filip

p.s.

you can send the corrected (with circle) picture to my mail address:

filip@acn.waw.pl

or

tri_color@poczta.onet.pl
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods