Making my own static mini35 - questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 15th, 2004, 01:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Making my own static mini35 - questions

Hi everyone, it is revolutionary thing to make this mini35 for such low price... I decided to make one by my own. I have read topics in this forum for month, but I have also some questions...

1. Yesterday I get Aluminium oxyde to make GG. I made an experiment for the beginning with some glass. The result was impressive, i tried the GG with my GL2 and Sigma lens (improvisation) - and I was surprised with the results GL2 recorded. So - can I use some ordinary glass for GG, or is it better to be UV filter? Also - must I grind both sides or just one side of mirror? If one side - which side is then toward the GL2 and which toward the Sigma lens?

2. I didn't perfectly understood what must be a lenghth between GL2 and GG? On the other hand I understood that the length between GG and Sigma Lens is Focal lenghth of Sigma lens (lens are from my Nikon F60 SLR camera, Nikon 35mm SLR cameras have 1.831 inches focal lenghth).

3. I have GL2 - do I also need a macro diopter +7? I mean because GL2 have possibility to focus right close - 1cm. But on the other hand - If I have diopter, then i think i will focus more close on some objects on a GG - then I will be able to do more macro-close-ups, is it true?

4. For me it is the most difficult thing how to attach this setup on my GL2? I will find some materials for the body (between Lens and GL2), but how attach this thing on my GL2 without hurting it? :)

5. Isn't the most easy way to solve the problem with monitoring while recording with setup like this - to turn camera down for the 180?

Thanx alot for the answers...

Marko
Marko Zorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Marko!

1. I think people are using UV filters simply because they are the right size and already have a way to be mounted onto the device.
Don't grind both sides or you'll get too much diffusion. The non-ground side should be facing your GL2. This will work both ways, but I believe you don't want the ground side facing the camera due to light reflection on the non-ground side if it were facing the 35mm lens.

2. I don't think there's an exact distance required between the DV camera and ground glass - just as long as you fill the frame. Mine is a couple of inches in front of the camera.

3. The GL2 does a good job at close-focusing, but I found that it was a lot of trouble zooming, focusing, backing out, focusing... So I bought a Hoya closeup set with +1, +2, & +4 filters. The +4 was really the only one I tried (didn't stack +1 & +2 or anything, because I thought that would introduce chromatic abberations)
What do you mean about being able to "focus more close on some objects on a GG"? You will be able to focus on the ground glass itself, if that's what you mean.

4. The way I attached this to my GL2 without hurting it was to take a 58mm filter ring off a UV filter and attach it (using JB Weld) to the body of the device. That way, I could just screw it in.

5. To flip the monitor would only correct the image on one axis (top to bottom, not left to right) I think, so you would still have difficulty following subjects.

Hope this helps!

,Frank
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Frank!

I have bought an UV filter today and grind it... It is really the right size GG for my device...

So, i see, on one side of my device there must be glued an empty 58 filter ring (GL2 side) and on the other side there must be an mount adapter for the lenses (Lenses side).

The only thing I couldnt figure out is the body of the device, I must go and look inside some shops tomorrow to find such a PVC stuff described in an article at http://ideaspora.net/aldu35/index.html...

The thing with turning camera down was my mistake:) Now I thing of new solution: to turn picture that I see on LCD screen with some mirrors outside the camera...

Thanx...

Marko
Marko Zorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Using the UV filter will confer the added benefit of having an anti-reflective coating on one face if it is there, which plain glass will not have.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods