4:4:4 HD Uncompressed via Picture mode ala Juan's mod? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 28th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #16
RED Code Chef

That makes sense and was the way I expected it to be. Thanks
for the clearing this up, Juan!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
The statement quoted above that was made in my DVX thread about the DVX's CCD's being 934x768 was incorrect, and was originally made by me based on some information I found for Panasonic broadcast sensors...this was before i actually captured the entire raw frame.
Yes I know...i've been reading your thread since the beginning. You just got confused over what I was quoting. I was quoting your real resolution findings that you posted later on: 771x494. I then quoted John Gaspain, who posted on your thread saying that his Panasonic 953 had an actual CCD resolution of 934x768.

I know that each CCD has it's own limitations, but what I was wondering is that some might be capable of more. I compared my picture mode to the d.wide mode which really really seems like it is downconverting from a higher resolution....just to find the limits.

Also, Juan...say I don't hit the ccd resolution limit on my camera, and I have to find the highest sample area which can hit 30fps, would it be possible to mathimatically work out a higher sample rate at say...24fps?

Thanks for your time,
Rob
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Rob, Sorry for the misunderstanding...i guess i didn't read it correctly..thanks for clearing it up. :)

All the CCD's i have seen so far have only specific modes, 2 of them specifically. One for video and another for stills. Afaik, you can't over-clock any mode...you might be able to under-clock a mode that supports a higher frame-rate however.

The frame sizes of the modes are pre-set and not user selectable, so it's not like you can select a slightly larger area of the CCD to work at a slightly lower rate than 30fps..it's either full frame or the small frame for video that whoever designed the thing set. The full-frame rates are usually so slow that even if you could, you'd have to do some dramatic overclocking. Usually they are around 5-15fps.

Hope this helps!
Juan
Juan P. Pertierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #19
Space Hipster

If you can capture 5-15fps images, Twixtor or other retimer should do a great job of turning that into 24 or 30 fps. I get great results on some types of footage taking 3fps into 24fps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods